O God, grant to our Muslim brothers and sisters a fuller knowledge of your Son Jesus Christ through the worthy witness of Christians. We pray…
1. Because God lets the sun rise on both the good and the bad, help us not to compare our lives with those of others. We pray to the Lord.
2. Help us remember that each of us and all of nature is a temple of God, and live accordingly. We pray to the Lord.
A video of the recent conversation about Leonard Cohen by Rabbi Jodorkovsky and Archbishop Bolen is available on the diocese website http://saskatoonrcdiocese.com/videos and on the diocese YouTube channel. A DVD of the event can also be borrowed from the Resource Library at the Catholic Centre. Please note: the video will be available for viewing by this weekend.
Annual Report: The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon Annual Report for 2015-2016 is available as a PDF on the diocesan website: http://saskatoonrcdiocese.com/news or for a printed copy contact: (306) 659-5844 or e-mail: communications [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com
You Are Invited... Agnes Pelletier, who has served as the Bishop’s Assistant in our diocese since July 14, 2008, is retiring. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon is hosting a wine and cheese reception in her honour 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 2 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon. This is a come and go event: a brief program begins at 7:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome!
Easter at the Prison - The diocesan office of Restorative Ministry is seeking monetary donations to purchase chocolate Easter bunnies to distribute at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre as a way of sharing the love and joy of Christ’s Resurrection with the prisoners. Please drop your labelled donation into your parish collection or send to the attention of Dianne Anderson at the Catholic Pastoral Centre, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon. Once again this year Restorative Ministry will celebrate the Triduum liturgies at the prison.
REVIVE Parish Mission will be held Saturday, March 18, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, 300 - 8th Ave. North, Martensville, SK. This retreat is designed to help the whole family prepare their hearts to celebrate Easter. Andre and Angele Regnier, co-founders of Catholic Christian Outreach will facilitate this day of talks, prayer and music. If God loves us why doesn't it feel that way? The Regniers will share some of the reasons we may not be experiencing the fullness of God's love. A children's retreat for kindergarten (starting fall 2017) to Grade 6 will be held adjacent to the adult retreat and hosted by Pure Witness Ministries. Limited childcare spots are available at the church for 3 years and under. Cost is $20/ person, $5/ child, and $50/ family. Lunch included. To register email ihmp [at] sasktel.net or call (306) 931-3111.
Queen's House 24 hour Eucharistic adoration will begin noon Monday, Feb 27 and continue until noon Tuesday Feb 28 at Queen’s House of Retreat and Renewal, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon (in the Eucharistic Chapel). All are welcome to stop by to spend time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. For more information or to commit to a time, please call Sally at (306) 373-2621.
CAA Pilgrimage with Fr. Iheanyi Enwerem to Fatima and Lourdes as well as Barcelona will be held from Oct. 15 to Oct. 24, 2017. Numbers are needed before April to book this trip! If you are interested, please call Fr. Iheanyi at 306-651-0609 or St. Peter the Apostle’s office at 306-382-5503.
* Are you hurting because of an abortion? Rachel's Vineyard is a safe place to renew, rebuild and redeem hearts broken by abortion. Weekend retreats offer you a supportive, confidential and non-judgmental environment where women and men can express, release and reconcile painful post-abortive emotions to begin the process of restoration, renewal and healing.
Our next retreat in Saskatchewan will be held on April 7-9, 2017. To register, please contact Elaine at 1-306-480-8911 or e-mail r.vineyardsk [at] sasktel.net
The Saskatoon Pregnancy Options Centre is seeking a person or family willing to assist a vulnerable, pregnant 16 year-old who needs a safe place on occasion to decompress from family tensions during and possibly after her pregnancy. She has a family, but an opportunity to take breaks from them has proven to be very healthy for all of them. The Centre is also seeking a person, preferably male, willing to work with a teenager with autism a few hours over the weekends and some evenings during the week. The family has government respite money to be able to offer about $13/hour to those interested in serving as a mentor and companion to this delightful, high functioning young man. Please note that all volunteers will have to submit a Criminal Record Check, a Vulnerable Sector Search, as well as providing personal references. Please contact Cathy at the centre for more information 306-665-7550 or e-mail her at cathy.spoc [at] sasktel.net
* OREMUS - Oremus is a new monthly worship and community night for young adults (over 19) held on the fourth Friday of each month at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon, in the Queen of Peace Chapel. The first Oremus will be held 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24. This is a time to come, be still, pray and intercede for the needs of each other, our community and the world. It will include testimonies and some table sharing, followed by a social time of refreshments, beer, wine cards, board games and conversation. For more information contact Colm Leyne in the diocesan Youth Ministry office at youthmin [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or 306-659-5843.
35 YEARS AND COUNTING: Dennis Mahoney Council 8215 of the Knights of Columbus based at the Cathedral of the Holy Family will be celebrating its 35th Anniversary in October 2017. We will be contacting all present and former council members, widows of members and chaplains to join us in an evening of celebration and fraternity. Further information will be posted in Diocesan Bulletins, Church Bulletins, K. of C. publications and at our website www.knightsofcolumbus8215.com . Save the Date and join us in October.
* Pro-Life Fundraiser sponsored by The Knights of Columbus In Support of Life Committee
Dine, Dance and Auction. Everyone is Welcome. This event will take place on Feb 25th at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Rd. Refreshments 5:30 - Dinner 6:30. Auction and Dance to follow. Tickets: $35 each, or purchase a table of 8 for $250. Proceeds are donated to Saskatoon Pro-Life Groups. Catered by Touch of Ukraine. For tickets contact John Cook 306- 477-1748 or your parish Knights of Columbus Council.
*Pure Witness YEP will be held Saturday, March 4 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, 12th Street East and Wiggins Avenue, Saskatoon. Youth Grade 8 and up, are invited to join us for a day of Praise & Worship, talks, games, Mass, confession, fellowship and fun. Cost is $25, lunch and supper included. The theme for this YEP is “No Mistakes, No Lies.” Our guest speaker, Theresa Boehm, will share with us how God doesn’t make mistakes and how He speaks truth into our lives! More info at www.purewitness.com
*Coffee House - A coffee house put on by Pure Witness Ministries will be held Saturday, March 4, starting at 7 p.m. at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Saskatoon. The whole family is invited to join us for an evening of music, coffee and snacks, and fellowship! Admission is a free will offering. Please email laura.rice [at] purewitness.com if you would like to perform.
*L’Arche Art Show – “Monsters” – Saturday, March 4, from 12 to 8 p.m., at AKA Gallery, 424-20th Street West, Saskatoon. Our L’Arche workshop has been busy preparing for an art show! The theme they chose is “monsters,” so there will be numerous paintings, sculptures, and other artworks on display. There will be a reception from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. with the artists present.
*L’Arche Prayer Nights are held regularly. We usually have tea and cookies afterwards, and everyone is welcome! Upcoming Prayer Nights will be held at Christopher House (503 Christopher Lane) at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 22, and at Alma House (546 Christopher Lane) at 7 p.m. on March 8, 22, and 29.
The Saskatoon Marriage Network is bringing in Dave and Donalyn Currie of “Doing Family Right” ministries – http://www.doingfamilyright.com. The events to be held April 27-29 at Circle Drive Alliance Church, 3035 Preston Ave, Saskatoon include:
• Minister’s Luncheon/Workshop on Thursday, April 27 – for pastors and ministry leaders. The lunch will be followed by a workshop on the issues and challenges related to pornography.
• Marriage 2.0 for couples married 20-plus years, or over age 45 in a second marriage from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 28 ($99/couple before April 7);
• i-Parent from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Friday, April 28 ($10/person) on the topics of leaving a spiritual impact on your kids and raising confident kids; and
• Marriage Fusion 2:1, a powerful marriage building experience, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 29 ($99 per couple before April 7) – an event for all married couples, with a special focus on those married less than 20 years.
For more information and to register see: www.SaskatoonMarriageNetwork.ca or call Circle Drive Alliance Church at (306) 373-5445.
Queen’s House of Retreats – Upcoming events at Queen’s House - 601 Taylor Street W, Saskatoon, SK. • Phone: 306-242-1916 • Email: receptionist [at] queenshouse.org • Website: www.queenshouse.org
Ongoing programs at Queen’s House include:
- CENTERING PRAYER: Monday evenings – 7 p.m.
- HOLY EUCHARIST: Wednesday afternoons - call to confirm time – all are welcome!
- JOURNEY WITH SCRIPTURE: First Wednesday of the month, March 1, 10 a.m. to noon with Fr Paul Fachet, OMI - $25 includes lunch
- TAIZE PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY –Second Tuesday/month, March 14 - 8 p.m.
- DAY AWAY with Gisele Bauche – Second Wednesday of the month, March. 8, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. - $25 includes lunch
- 24-HOUR EUCHARISTIC ADORATION: from noon Monday, Feb 27 until noon Tuesday Feb 28.
- Knights of Columbus Brothers Keeper Breakfast: 2nd Tuesday/month, 7 a.m. March 14.
- WOMEN in MINISTRY LUNCHEONS: One Friday a month from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm –March 10
- PERSONAL DAY(S) OF PRIVATE PRAYER: Book anytime
* SCIENCE & SPIRITALITY TODAY: Revealing an Amazing World: with Sr. Judy Schachtel, Tuesday evenings from 7:00 - 9:00 pm: February 21, 28. Cost: $10 per session. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS TWILIGHT RETREAT: D’Arcy McGee 4th Degree Assembly, Tuesday, Feb. 28, beginning at 7:00 p.m. with Mass, followed by a Presentation / Meeting / Social. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
EXPLORING THE SOUL ENERGIES of the ENNEAGRAM CENTRES: with Rick McCorrister: Saturday, February 25: Action Centre (8, 9, 1: Gut) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm; Saturday, March 25: Thinking Centre (5, 6, 7: Head) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm; Saturday, April 29: Feeling Centre (2, 3, 4: Heart) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm. Cost: $95 per session or $260 for all 3 sessions. Includes lunch. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
* SILENT DIRECTED RETREAT: Be Still and Know: with Bishop Gerry Wiesner & Dianne Mantyka, from Sunday, March 12 at 6:30 pm until Tuesday, March 14 at 1:00 pm. Cost: Live-in only: $345. (includes facilitation, meals, accommodation, spiritual direction). Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
UNDERSTANDING CODEPENDENCY: Living into Healthy and Loving Relationships Friday, March 3 from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm with Kim Morrison, PhD. Cost: $55 – includes lunch Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916
QUEEN’S HOUSE LENTEN SERIES: 6 consecutive Saturday mornings through Lent, March 4, 11, 18, 25 and April 1, April 8 from 9 a.m. to Noon (Lunch is a $12 optional extra.) Program cost is $20. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916, Saturdays from 9:00 am – until Noon / Program cost is $20 / (Lunch is a $12 optional extra.) Series includes:
March 4: Through Crucial Conversations Towards Reconciliation: Marie-Louise Ternier-Gommers
March 11: Journeying Through Lent With Dementia: Rev. Marilyn Fowlie-Neufeld
March 18: Lent – A Very Human Journey: Rev. Deborah Walker
March 25: Journey to Jerusalem: Rev. Gyllian Davies
April 1: On Being Agents of Hope: Fr. Mike Dechant OMI
SPIRITUAL FORMATION DAYS: as part of Spiritual Direction Formation are Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916. Upcoming sessions include:
• IGNAIAN SPIRITUALTY with Linda Labelle, Saturday, March 18. Cost: $40 includes lunch.
• ECUMENISM: Opening Spiritual Doors with Archbishop Donald Bolen, Saturday, April 8. Cost: $40 includes lunch.
• FIRST NATIONS SPIRITUALITY with Archbishop Sylvain Lavoie and Harry Lafond, Saturday, May 13. Cost: $40 includes lunch.
• SOCIAL JUSTICE and SPIRITUALITY with Bob McKeon, Saturday, June 17. Cost $40 includes lunch.
Announcements Continuing from Last Week
* Renew your Lenten experience. Join for this year’s Lenten Series with Bishop Gerald Wiesner, presented by the diocesan Foundations: Exploring Our Faith Together program.
Date: Wednesday, March 8 and March 15; Time: 7-9 pm
Location: Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon
Cost: Free! Donations are appreciated.
Pre-registration is appreciated, but not necessary.
Contact Rita Taylor: logistics [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com Ph: 306-659-5831
* Introduction to Centering Prayer - Centering Prayer is a simple method of Christ-Centered silent prayer, a renewal of an ancient Christian Contemplative practice, updated for our time. It can lead to a deeper prayer life, personal healing, spiritual transformation, and closer union with God. Fr. Kevin McGee and Marge Copeland will be leading an Introduction to Centering Prayer at St. Augustine Church, 602 Boychuk Drive Saskatoon on Saturday, March 4 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Soup lunch will be provided. The introductory series will continue with follow-up sessions Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on March 11, March 25 and April 1. These follow up sessions build on the information presented at the introductory session. Cost is $50. To register, please call Marge Copeland at (306) 230-8803, or email m.copeland [at] sasktel.net
* Contemplative Mass led by Fr. Kevin McGee will be held 7 p.m. Friday, March 3 at St. Augustine Church, 602 Boychuk Drive, Saskatoon. The rhythm of the Contemplative Mass is a gentle, steady flow, marked by 20 minutes of silence after communion. It is designated to allow space for reflection and recognition of the intimate presence of Christ who comes to us through scripture and the Eucharist. Silence within this form of worship can feel uncomfortable or awkward, especially when experienced for the first time. We encourage you to relax and rest in the abiding presence of God.
* Churches for Environmental Action Presents: “Drowning? Ways to live Simply” – an afternoon workshop on Saturday March 4 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. at Mayfair United Church, 902-33rd St. West. Keynote speaker is Dr. Chris Hrynkow of St. Thomas More College. Leadership from the City of Saskatoon will address the current vision and challenges. Also featured will be workshops including community gardens, green kitchens, and environmental block party. Admission is free and childcare will be provided on site at no charge. For info contact Carol at justpeacechair [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or call Myron at 306-659-5841.
* Are you hurting because of an abortion? Rachel's Vineyard is a safe place to renew, rebuild and redeem hearts broken by abortion. Weekend retreats offer you a supportive, confidential and non-judgmental environment where women and men can express, release and reconcile painful post-abortive emotions to begin the process of restoration, renewal and healing. Our next retreat in Saskatchewan will be held on April 7-9, 2017. To register, please contact Elaine at 1-306-480-8911 or email r.vineyardsk [at] sasktel.net
Free Holy Cards - The Religious Goods Center donates thousands of free Holy Cards to Catholic Churches, schools, prison ministries, youth liturgical groups, care homes, etc. Holy cards are evangelizing instruments of grace that sparks the curiosity of the youth, they wanting to learn more about holy matters, especially about the virtue of the Saints. Please visit http://www.everydaystop.com/freereligiousgoods or for info email ordering [at] everydaystop.com
Mary Kills People is a current miniseries airing on Global TV. This miniseries depicts what life would be like if physician assisted suicide was not legal and the underground business of killing that would emerge out of necessity. The solution prescribed in the show is that death is a universal cure for suffering. You are invited to read the CWL press release at: https://www.cwl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Press-Release-re.-Mary-Kills-People.pdf
As an action you can contact Global at: http://www.corusent.com/contact-us/ to provide you with a list of companies advertising during the show. You can then contact the companies and ask them to remove their advertisement from the timeslot. For information on sample emails or phone conversations contact Myron Rogal at: justpeace [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or (306) 659-5841.
* Mardi Gras, Feb. 25, 2017, at St. Anne’s Parish – Fr. Donlevy Hall. Come enjoy a Cajun Feast by Al Dente Bistro and dance to the music of Dr. Don and the Black Mambas, Zyd-Go-Go and the Crawdaddios. There will be a silent Auction. Cost is $75 each ($50 tax receipt); tickets are available from the parish office, (306) 931-4700 or from members of the Ecumenical Syrian Refugee Committee. Donations for the silent auction appreciated.
* Christopher Leadership Course will be held 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings from March 14 to May 16 at Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre meeting room in Saskatoon. The CLC Level 1 course is a 10-week course in public speaking and leadership skills. Online registration: www.clcsaskatoon.com or for more information see the Christopher Leadership Course Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Christopher+Leader
* Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose: Are you thriving or just surviving? Do you desire a clearer understanding of God’s plan for your life? “God has an incredible dream for you. He wants you to become the-best-version-of-yourself!” Living Every Day With Passion and Purpose by internationally acclaimed speaker and author Matthew Kelly will be presented on DVD in a program held at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road Saskatoon. It will start 6:30 p.m. Friday, March 24, continuing Saturday, March 25, starting at 8:30 a.m. The cost is $30 and will include a workbook, lunch, supper and social. For more information or tickets contact Lise Durette at (306) 374-4334 or Wayne Koshman at (306) 381-3330. Tickets are also available at the Holy Family Cathedral parish office at (306) 659-5800.
St. Anne’s Parish in Saskatoon is one of the local organizations that has entered a team for the Coldest Night of the Year Walk fund-raiser on Saturday, Feb. 25 in support of The Lighthouse and The Bridge. This annual event is a family-friendly fundraiser for the hungry, homeless, and hurting across Canada. The money raised here in Saskatoon stays in the community, divided between the Lighthouse and the Bridge on 20th Fellowship Center. The Bridge is an outreach centre in Saskatoon and the Lighthouse provides emergency shelter, supported living and affordable housing to those in need. To join the team to walk or to support the team, register and/or donate online at www.coldestnightoftheyear.org/saskatoon. For more information call Jo-Ann Barre at (306) 668-4951.
A Message from the CWL Clothing Depot - Thank you to all who have donated articles, clothing or household items to the CWL Clothing Depot in Saskatoon. If it wasn't for your generosity we would not be able to offer these items at a very economical price to those in need. Thank you all for thinking of the depot when you are wanting to donate, as we know there are many other organizations that are also looking for donations. Please continue to support the Clothing Depot. Pickups can be arranged by calling 306-242-5042 or you can drop your items off at the back door of the CWL Clothing Depot, which is located at the back lane of 20th Street, beside the Friendship Inn, 619-20th St. W., Saskatoon. Thank you again for supporting the depot which in turn supports many local charities.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has circulated a petition "Will you stand with refugees?" You can sign the petition online at http://www.unhcr.org/refugeeday/petition/ or for more information contact Christine Zyla in the diocesan Office of Migration, (306) 659-5842.
The Msgr. Michael J. Koch Library located at the Catholic Pastoral Centre (2nd floor of the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon) is looking for a team of volunteers. If you are interested in helping serve the community and are able to donate your time, whether for a half day, for a week or more, please e-mail Sharon at library [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or call (306) 659-5853. No previous library experience necessary, but is most welcome.
All parents and young adults are welcome to attend the Western Canadian Catholic Home School Conference, March 9-11 at Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton. Keynote, Holly Pierlot with Fr. Stefano Penna, John Carpay, Karen Hanlon, and a panel of seminarians & religious. Information: www.wcchsc.net or call Veronica 780-467-8410 or e-mail wcchscreg [at] shaw.ca
Ministry to Tourism Booking Deadlines: Reservations for Discovering Poland (Aug 28-Sept 11) and the post tour option Treasures of the Danube (Crystal Mozart cruise Sept 13-23) are now all based on availability. For Bookings after Feb 22, 2017 the Poland tour discount of $200 will end. Pilgrim Journey to Biblical Lands (Rome & Holy Land April 19-May 9)) is strictly upon request at this late date. For details: www.pilgrimjourneys.ca or contact Ministry to Tourism (Fr. Kleiter) at 306-244 3747; kleiter [at] shaw.ca
*From Mourning to Dawn, the diocesan grief support group for widows and widowers is hosting their spring session, beginning on March 28, 2017. Facilitators, who have experienced the loss of their marriage partner, engage with participants on an 8-week journey of transformation and healing, offering support and encouragement for bereaved spouses. This program is open to participants who have been widows/widowers between 2 months and 2 years. Sessions are held at the Catholic Pastoral Centre in the Cathedral of the Holy Family (123 Nelson Road) on 8 consecutive Tuesdays, beginning March 28, 2017 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. The cost is $35. For more information or to register, please contact Elan at 306-679-7717 or email at cic.elan [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com
* Dinner and Dance Fundraiser - For FacetoFace Ministries - On February 25 the Knights of Columbus Council #7497 and FacetoFace Ministries are co-hosing a Prime Rib Dinner and Dance with a live band as fundraiser for FacetoFace Ministries. We invite everyone out to this very enjoyable evening of food, friends, and dancing at Champetre County, near St. Denis, SK. Makes a great date. $50/ticket with $25 tax receipt. Only 125 tickets sold. More information and to purchase tickets: www.f2f.ca or call 306.381.7789
Development & Peace Share Lent 2017 workshops for Saskatoon diocese:
The 2017 Share Lent theme is “Women at the Heart of Change”. What does this mean in development work? If you would like to help out with the campaign or just learn more about international development, please join us in exploring this theme and preparing for Share Lent 2017. Everyone is welcome!
- * Saskatoon: Feb. 28th, 7 pm to 9:30 pm at Holy Spirit Parish, 114 Kingsmere Place, Saskatoon. For further information, please call Betty (306) 975-1109 or Joanne (306) 477-1746).
* St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission 9th Annual Lenten Conference will be held Feb. 24-26, featuring speaker musician and speaker Jimmy Mitchell. The conference runs from 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24 to 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26 at St. Therese in Bruno, SK. Conference Registration: $90; Weekend Meal Package: $45; On-site Accommodations: $60. To register call Micheline at (306) 369-2555 or see www.St-T.ca/Lent Keynote presenter: Jimmy Mitchell of Tennessee is a beloved son, traveling troubador, and aspiring saint. His greatest passion is helping young others discover the mystery of God’s love and the beauty of Christian culture. In 2010, he founded Mysterium with a vision for evangelization and discipleship that has brought him to every corner of the world hosting retreats and speaking at conferences. Find out more and listen to some of his work at www.JimmyPMitchell.com
Volunteer Opportunity at Samaritan Place: Would you or your family consider spending a Sunday morning with residents and families at Samaritan Place? We celebrate Mass every Sunday at 11 am, and we need volunteers to help set up the sacristy and serve once a month. Training will be provided. This is an opportunity to serve Christ in others and to spend time with seniors. Our vision at Samaritan Place is to create a “home where everyone who enters can experience harmony in relationships and joys in everyday life.” Come and be a part of this vision! If you are interested, please contact Amy (Director of Spiritual Care and Mission at Samaritan Place, 375 Cornish Road, Saskatoon) at 306-986-1460, Extension 1410, or e-mail: abunce [at] samaritanplace.ca
Connect with the Diocese of Saskatoon: Check out diocesan information and events at www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com Follow @saskatooncath on Twitter or find us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/saskatoonrcdiocese or on Pinterest at: https://www.pinterest.com/rcatholic /
* Considering engagement or marriage? Check out Catholic Marriage Preparation options in our community, which are posted on the diocesan website at: http://saskatoonrcdiocese.com/marriage-and-family-life
Upcoming opportunities include:
- In the diocese of Saskatoon, Catholic Engaged Encounter weekends are held at St. Peter's Abbey in Muenster, SK. Find more information or register online at www.ceewest.com or contact Heather and Craig Stomp at (306) 682-3326. Weekend organizers are Lynn and Wanda Freistadt: (306) 373-8607. The next Engaged Encounter weekend at Muenster will be held April 21-23, 2017. An Engaged Encounter Weekend gives couples planning marriage the opportunity to dialogue honestly and intensively about their future lives together. The weekend is designed to deepen and enrich relationships with one another, God, the Church and the World. Couples are given opportunities to learn more about one another as they engage in deep and meaningful discussions about all aspects of married life.
- Catholic Engaged Encounter Marriage Preparation Retreat Weekend will be held in Moose Jaw, SK on March 3-5, 2017. For more info or to register go to www.ceewest.com and click on "Regina" or call Stella Juma-Anderson at (306) 596-2951.
- The Marriage Preparation course at St. Philip Neri parish, 1902 Munroe Ave. (at Taylor Street E.) in Saskatoon is designed for those who are engaged, or planning to be married. Register by contacting Shirley Hyshka at s.hyshka [at] stphilipneriparish.ca or 306-343-0325. The next Marriage Preparation course at St. Philip will take place March 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on four Sunday afternoons.
- Catholic Family Services in Saskatoon offers weekend workshops in marriage preparation designed to help couples learn to better communicate feelings and ideas on relationship issues. They are held at the Saskatoon Golf and Country Club in Saskatoon and run three times per year. Cost is $225/couple. Weekends run 6:15 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Fridays/ 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. Upcoming CFS Marriage Preparation weekend: April 21-22, 2017. For more information or registration, contact Doreen Babin at Catholic Family Services at 244-7773 or staff [at] cfssaskatoon.sk.ca
JOB SEARCH: Seeking a bioethicist to work with and for Catholic faith-based facilities in Saskatchewan, guided by the Health Ethics Guide and the ethical teaching of the Catholic community. He/she is also responsible for the standards of ethical practice as set out in common law and common ethics within society. Six key priorities have been identified: support and guidance in ethical decision making; ethics education; ethics consultation / mentorship; ethics committee support; ethics guideline and policy development; and organizational ethics. This position will be dedicated to the faith-based institutional members of the Catholic Health Association of Saskatchewan in urban and rural Saskatchewan (some travel will be required). The ethicist is based out of St. Paul’s Hospital (SPH) in Saskatoon and functions within the context of the Mission Integration team of SPH. The ethicist leads Catholic health care facilities in the ongoing development, implementation, evaluation and integration of an ethics support service. St. Paul’s Hospital (SPH) is a tertiary level acute care hospital, owned by Emmanuel Care in the tradition of the Grey Nuns. SPH operates within a highly interdependent partnership with the Saskatoon Regional Health Authority. The ethicist will participate in this collaborative partnership. For more details see the posting at: www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/employment or contact Sandra Kary, Executive Director, Catholic Health Association of Saskatchewan, 1702 – 20th Street West, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7M 0Z9; Phone (306) 655-5332, E-mail: sandra [at] chassk.ca before the Feb. 28, 2017 deadline.
Diocese of Prince George, B.C. is seeking an accountant: The Accountant - Finance Department reports to the Financial Administrator. Principal responsibilities are supervising and training accounting staff; preparing financial statements; assisting with budget preparation and audit files; overseeing payroll and benefit plan administration; assisting with special projects; development of policies and procedures. Qualifications: a professional accounting designation; minimum of five years’ experience in financial management preferred; experience with non-profit sector would be an asset. Compensation based on qualifications and experience. The position will remain open until a suitable applicant has been selected. Send resume and cover letter to: Very Rev. Rectorino M. Tolentino, Jr. Vicar General/Moderator of the Curia 6500 Southridge Avenue Prince George, BC V2N 5P9; vicargeneral [at] pgdiocese.bc.ca
PRAYER FOR A NEW BISHOP
Praise to you, Lord our God, our eternal shepherd and guide.
In your faithfulness, grant to the Diocese of Saskatoon
a shepherd whose watchful care and kindly zeal
will continue the good work of his predecessors.
In your love for us, give us a shepherd who will lead us
in being Christ’s heart of mercy,
voice of hope, and hands of justice.
May our new bishop fill our minds and hearts
with the truth of the Gospel, the power of the sacraments,
and the desire to build up your holy Church.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, your Son and our Lord,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen