We pray as a diocesan family in this Easter season that our hearts will be filled with new life and a deeper enthusiasm for caring for creation.
1. May the human family, entrusted with the care and co-creation of Planet Earth, turn our hearts to God as we strive to save our planet. We pray to the Lord.
2. As we celebrate Easter, let our hearts be filled with new life and with deeper enthusiasm for caring for creation. We pray to the Lord.
Priest Pension and Retirement Fund weekend of April 22/23
* Next weekend, each parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon is taking up a special collection for our priests’ retirement. The Priests’ Pension and Retirement Fund will support our priests who have given their lives to Christ and his Church. Retirement years can be difficult for our senior priests. No longer supported by their parish communities, they rely on retirement benefits and their pension from the Priests’ Pension and Retirement Fund for basic needs, such as food, housing, health costs, and transportation. Please show your gratitude to those priests who have cared for and ministered to our community by prayerfully reflecting on how you can best help support our priests’ retirement with a gift to the Priests’ Pension and Retirement Fund collection.
Everyone is welcome to the Marian Movement of Priests Cenacle - all are invited to this Cenacle Holy Hour, which consists of adoration, the rosary, benediction, hymns and various prayers, 8 p.m. Thursday, May 4 at St. Michael's Catholic parish #18-33rd St. E., Saskatoon..
Marian Movement of Priests Annual Diocesan City Wide Cenacle of Prayer will be held May 10, 2017 at 7:00 PM. at St. Paul's Co-Cathedral 720-Spadina Crescent E. Saskatoon, Sk.
Holy Mass followed by Cenacle. Celebrants are Fr. Pius Schroh and Fr. Denis Phaneuf. Everyone is welcome! For more information, please contact Edna Evans 382-1680.
Please note that this will be in place of the regular Diocesan Cenacle of Prayer usually held at 3:00 p.m.
* Support for Persecuted Christians: the 4th Annual Fundraiser for Persecuted Christians This event to raise funds and awareness will be held Sunday, April 30 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon, featuring an East Indian buffet at 6 p.m., followed by a program and entertainment by guitarist Zeljko Bilandzic. All proceeds go to refugee sponsorship. Tickets are $30. A table of eight is $175. To purchase tickets, please contact Myron at (306) 659-5841 or e-mail justpeace [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or contact Nadeem at (306) 717-7725 or e-mail savepeace3 [at] gmail.com
* COLUMBUS BOSCO HOMES invites you to our Annual Fundraiser “The Joe Kammermayer Commemorative Dinner” on Thursday April 27 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family Parish Hall on 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon Sk. The dinner is a fundraiser in support the Farm School, the Substance Abuse Education Program and nine Family Support Centers. These programs provide essential support to “at risk” adolescents, pre-school children and families in our community. Cocktails at 6:00 p.m. Dinner is at 6:45 p.m. Entertainment is at 7:30. Tickets are $50 each. The Dessert auctionwill be the highlight of the evening. Tickets are available from: Chris Sarich 306-343-5640 or 306-221-4686; Lorne Keller 306-374-6134 or 306-227-7576; or Ernest Boyko 306 260-6273. Thank you for helping keep our programs vibrant and growing.
A few years ago, the marriage of Anastasia Winterhalt and Anthony McCarthy was at a breaking point. “I didn’t think I could possibly fix what was broken,” says Winterhalt. “We had no communication, I was ready to divorce my husband.” When Anastasia thought all was lost, her mother suggested she try Retrouvaille.
Lack of communication, resentment, fighting, and living separate lives while married are just some of the common factors responsible for the breakdown of many marriages. The reasons are as varied as the couples that take part in Retrouvaille. Retrouvaille has Catholic roots but the program is for everyone who wants a stronger marriage, regardless of religious affiliation. It is based on an intensive weekend-long experience followed by six follow-up sessions. The main emphasis of the program is on communication and rebuilding relationships.
Anthony says Retrouvaille gave him a new language. “I was never much of a talker, especially when it came to the hard stuff. The program was intense but it got to the root of things,” he explains. “It’s given me the confidence to express my emotions with my wife and the rest of my family.”
The next Retrouvaille weekend takes place on April 28-30 in Saskatoon and is followed by six weeks of Post Sessions on May 6, 13, 27, June 3, 17 and 24. For more information, please call (306) 652-7155 or e-mail: retrouvaille [at] sasktel.net
“You don’t have to accept a bad marriage; you can change it. This program helped me save the most valuable thing in my life.” – Anastasia Winterhalt, Retrouvaille Participant.
Contemplative Mass led by Fr. Kevin McGee Friday, May 5th at 7 p.m. at St. Augustine Church, 602 Boychuk Dr.
The rhythm of the Contemplative Mass is a gentle, steady flow, marked by 20 minutes of silence after Communion. It is designated to allow space for reflection and recognition of the intimate presence of Christ who comes to us through scripture and the Eucharist. Silence within this form of worship can feel uncomfortable or awkward, especially when experienced for the first time. We encourage you to relax and rest in the abiding presence of God.
Pure Witness is currently recruiting missionaries, 18 years and older, for the 2017-18 year. A call to serve with Pure Witness is a call to experience a transformational year of radical, counter-cultural living, embracing the three-fold mission of Community Living, Faith Formation and Outreach. Do you feel called to serve Christ and the Church in this way? If you have questions or are interested in applying to be a missionary with Pure Witness, please email our Program Director, Carmen Marcoux, at carmen.marcoux [at] purewitness.com Please check out our website for more info and other upcoming events: www.purewitness.com
L’Arche Prayer Nights now at Wildwood Mennonite Church (1502 Acadia Drive)
We have a new location for our Prayer Nights! We will now be meeting at Wildwood Mennonite Church, at 1502 Acadia Drive, just north of Taylor Street.
The time remains the same: starting at 7 pm, with tea and cookies afterwards. There are no Prayer Nights on the first Wednesday of the month, or when there is a Gathering. The dates for our upcoming Prayer Nights are as follows:
April 19, 26
May 10, 24, 31
June 14, 28
* Catholic Women’s League - Lady of Good Counsel Supper (City-Wide): Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at St. Peter the Apostle Parish, 1121 Northumberland Ave, Saskatoon, with Mass at 5:30 p.m, and potluck supper to follow. Bring your favourite dish to share with everyone. All CWL members are welcome. Mark your calendars this event. There will be a short period of entertainment following the supper.”
SPRING CLEANING: The Msgr. Michael Koch Library located upstairs at the Cathedral of the Holy Family is going through it's spring cleaning. If you have any items due back to the library please drop them off in the Library Bin in the Welcome area of the church, located at the bottom of the stairs. Don't be shy, there are no late fees, so even if you find a book or DVD that has been hiding for a number of years bring it in. We also have plenty of FREE material that you are invited to take home.
VOLUNTEERS need: The Msgr. Michael Koch Library located upstairs at the Cathedral of the Holy Family is in need of a couple more outgoing volunteers to help with the care and maintenance of our resource centre. We are currently looking to fill Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday morning or afternoon and Thursday morning. If you are interested and would like more information please call Sharon Leyne at 306-659-5853.
Getting married this summer? Last chance to participate in a Catholic Engaged Encounter weekend marriage preparation retreat. This diocesan approved course has a few remaining spots available for our June 2 to 4, 2017 weekend near Wolseley, SK. For more information or to register go to www.ceewest.com and click on "Regina" or call Stella and Ron Anderson at (306) 596-2951.
Crack That Catechism! 7:00 pm 3 Thursday sessions with Andy Korvemaker on May 25, June 1 & June 8 at St. Michael’s Church (18 – 33rd St. East). An introduction to the Catechism of the Catholic Church aimed at those who have limited or no experience with it. We’ll crack it open and see what’s inside! Let’s get reacquainted with our faith! Everyone is invited to one, two or all three sessions. Cost is by donation. (Offered through the Diocese of Saskatoon, Foundations: Exploring Our Faith Together)
WCC 2017 - Life-Long Discipleship - The 2017 Western Conference of the Catechumenate with Team RCIA will be held June 9-10 in Winnipeg. Team RCIA will present the Making Disciples Institute, with additional insights to address specific issues parish teams are experiencing in Western Canada. There will be a special track Saturday afternoon for experienced RCIA parish team members. This is the 27th Western Conference for the Catechumenate, and the organizers are excited to have the Archdioceses of Saint Boniface and Winnipeg collaborate in hosting this year's event. Find more information at: http://western-catechumenate.blogspot.ca including online registration, or contact Michelle at (306) 358-2057. A Msgr Michael Koch Grant of $500 is available to assist parishes that do not have the financial resources to attend - email wcc.cochair [at] yahoo.com for the application form. Deadline to apply for the grant is April 30.
* Queen’s House of Retreats – Upcoming events at Queen’s House - 601 Taylor Street W, Saskatoon, SK. • Phone: 306-242-1916 • Email: receptionist [at] queenshouse.org • Website: www.queenshouse.org
Ongoing programs at Queen’s House include:
· CENTERING PRAYER: Monday evenings – 7 p.m.
· HOLY EUCHARIST: Wednesday afternoons - call to confirm time – all are welcome!
· * JOURNEY WITH SCRIPTURE: First Wednesday of the month, May 3, 10 a.m. to noon with Fr Paul Fachet, OMI - $25 includes lunch
QUIET DAY OF PRAYER –2nd Wednesday/month; $25 (lunch) 9:30- 3:30 pm May 10
· TAIZE PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY –Second Tuesday/month, 8 p.m.
· * Knights of Columbus Brothers Keeper Breakfast: 2nd Tuesday/month, 7 a.m.
· WOMEN in MINISTRY LUNCHEONS: One Friday a month 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm May 5
· PERSONAL DAY(S) OF PRIVATE PRAYER: Book anytime
* SPRING FLING: Tickets are available for a series of daily cash draws held each day in May. Simply download, complete and return the brochure from our website. Thanks to all who have already purchased their tickets.
11th ANNUAL OBLATE GOLF TOURNAMENT: Please consider supporting us and joining us for a day of golf - mark your calendar for Saturday, June 17th. All proceeds for both events are designated for programming at and maintenance of Queen’s House. See the Queen’s House website or call 306-242-1916 for details.
SUMMER STILLNESS: with Fr. Ron Rolheiser OMI:
Monday Evening – Public Lecture: July 10th from 7:00 – 9:00 pm: A Secret Hidden Since the Foundations of the World – The Cross as Revealing the Basis for Trust.
Main Theme: Tuesday, July 11th through Thursday, July 13th from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm: A Spirituality of Charity, Justice and Prophecy – Why Simply Being Good-hearted is Not Enough.
Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
COMPANIONS on the JOURNEY: A Retreat for Religious Men and Women with Ron Rolheiser OMI
When: July 13th at 1:00 pm until July 18th at 11:00 am. Cost is $500. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
EXPLORING THE SOUL ENERGIES of the ENNEAGRAM CENTRES: with Rick McCorrister:
Saturday, April 29: Feeling Centre (2, 3, 4: Heart) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm. Cost: $95. Includes lunch. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
AND SO WE WAIT … OUR SPIRITUAL JOURNEY OF TRANSFORMATION: A Weekend Retreat for Women with Sarah Donnelly, from Friday, May 5 at 7:00 pm until Sunday, May 7 after lunch. Cost is $180. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
ICONOGRAPHY RETREAT with Anna Mycyk and Gisele Bauche from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday, May 15 to Friday, May 19. Cost: Commute: $525 (includes lunches). Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
ABIDE IN ME: A Retreat for Clergy, Pastors and Ministry Leaders with Rev. Paul Matteson, Fr. Kevin McGee and Dianne Mantyka from Sunday, May 28 at 4:00 pm until Monday, May 29 at 4:00 pm. Cost: $150 (includes meals). Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916.
TRANSITIONS: Your Journey of Transformation through Grief and Loss: with Sarah Donnelly (Call Sarah at 306-717-3707 for information and to register) from Thursday June 15th at 7:00 pm through Sunday, June 18th at 1:00 pm. at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon. Cost: $390 (live-in, includes program, bedroom, meals).
SPIRITUAL FORMATION DAYS: as part of Spiritual Direction Formation are held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon, call (306) 242-1916. Upcoming sessions include:
• FIRST NATIONS SPIRITUALITY with Archbishop Sylvain Lavoie and Harry Lafond, Saturday, May 13. Cost: $40 includes lunch.
• SOCIAL JUSTICE and SPIRITUALITY with Bob McKeon, Saturday, June 17. Cost $40 includes lunch.
Announcements Continuing from Last Week
Short videos responding to Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide: A series of short locally-prepared videos about “Finding the Gifts in a World of Choices” have been produced in Saskatchewan under the direction of a Saskatchewan bishops’ advisory committee, thanks to financial support from the Saskatchewan K of C Charitable Foundation. Two new videos – one focused on L’Arche and one on Suicide Prevention – have been added to the first two short videos released earlier on Palliative Care and on Care for the Elderly. All four can be found online at: www.findingthegifts.ca or on the diocesan website: www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com or for more information call the diocesan communications office at (306) 659-5844. Please watch and share!
* Apply to join The Justice and Outreach Year (J.O.Y.) of Formation program beginning September 2017. You are invited to broaden your understanding of social justice issues, develop the skills to engage in outreach and respond in service by reaching out to people within our community in a way that respects the dignity of each person. As Pope Francis has said, it is our human responsibility to walk in solidarity with the poor and by exploring and practicing our Catholic Social Teaching you will be empowered to respond to that baptismal call. Application Deadline is May 31, 2017. For more information or to apply online please visit www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/joy or email Kate O’Gorman at joy [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com
* Awaken, Enrich, Deepen Your Faith! The Lay Formation Program is about shaping and transforming the laity and enriching our faith lives. This diocesan program is grounded on three pillars: learning more about Catholic teachings and scripture, building Christian community, and deepening prayer and spriitual growth. Lay Formation is a live-in program that runs one weekend a month from September to June over two years. Applications are now being taken for September 2017 for all three streams: Diocesan, Eparchial and Aboriginal. If the Spirit is calling you to a path of learning, community and prayer see: www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/layformation or call Mona Goodman at (306) 659-5846.
* Saskatoon Prayer Breakfast will be held at 7 a.m. Saturday, April 29 at Prairieland Park in Saskatoon, featuring a message of hope from guest speaker Jason Caldwell, and musical guests Brad Johner and the Johner Boys. Tickets: $40 each. Tables of eight are available. Find more information at www.saskatoonprayerbreakfast.ca or call (306) 370-9870
* Momentum Youth Rally: Great Things • Grades 6-8 • from 9 am to 9 pm Saturday, May 27 at E.D. Feehan High School, 411 Ave. M North, Saskatoon. Rejoice in the goodness of God and the Great Things God has done for us!
The diocesan Youth Ministry office in collaboration with Pure Witness Ministries and FacetoFace Retreats, presents MOMENTUM for Grades 6-8, featuring speakers, music, dramas, confession, Mass, worship, friendship, games, and MORE. Cost: $35 (with a t-shirt if registering before May 10); Family rate: $75 for 3+ siblings (includes lunch & supper).
To register contact your school or parish leader! For more information call Colm Leyne at (306) 659-5843 or see www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/youthministry
* The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon, SK is seeking a quarter-time (40 hours per month) Aboriginal Lay Formation Coordinator. The Aboriginal Lay Formation Coordinator, reporting to the Director of Pastoral Services and working collaboratively with the Diocesan and Eparchial Lay Formation Coordinators, is called to walk with adult Aboriginal Catholics as they facilitate their personal faith formation. Due to the nature of employment, candidates must be confirmed practicing Roman Catholics of Aboriginal heritage in good standing with the Church. Salary is in accordance with the Salary Grids for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon. For a detailed position overview and/or to apply (please submit a cover letter and resume) to Patrick Clarke, Human Resources Manager at hr [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com by midnight, Monday, May 1, 2017. Please note: all applicants are required to submit a pastoral reference letter from their Pastor (or delegate) in addition to submitting a cover letter and resume. A detailed ministry position overview will be e-mailed to applicants upon request or for more information call (306) 659-5835. The position start date is May 23, 2017.
* Pure Witness Presents YEP on May 6 - Grace Under Fire: Living the Message of Fatima
Pure Witness Ministries presents a day for youth Saturday, May 6 at St. Anne’s Parish, 217 Lenore Drive, Saskatoon, with games, talks, praise and worship, Mass, Confession, food, fun and fellowship. Whether you have been to all the YEPs or you have never been to any, come on out. Come celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Fatima with us. Guest speaker Sean Roche will be sharing with us about Our Lady of Fatima, her message to us of prayer and evangelization, and the role that she plays in each one of our lives. YEP runs from 10 am to 10 pm May 6 at St. Anne’s Parish, for Grades 8 and Up – cost is $20 for YEP or $30 for YEP and the Formal Supper. For more info email laura.rice [at] purewitness.com
* Pure Witness Family Dance will be held 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 6 at St. Anne’s Parish, 217 Lenore Drive, Saskatoon. Cost is free. Come to dance, eat snacks, and visit with friends. For more information email laura.rice [at] purewitness.com
* Who doesn’t love fishing? Many of the first 12 apostles were fishermen. The Micah Mission is a local ministry that helps to reintegrate men coming out of prison back into society. The Micah Mission hosts an annual fishing trip for men, some of whom may have never fished before. This one-day trip gives them a rare opportunity to experience both the joy of nature outside the city and healthy male companionship. We would like to find 12 “apostles” to donate $100 to help fund this venture. For more information to participate or to donate, please call Dave at (306) 653-3099.
* “New Evangelization Summit” is coming to the Diocese of Saskatoon May 12-13. The Diocese of Saskatoon will be once again hosting the “New Evangelization Summit” for the third consecutive year. Hosted in Ottawa, this conference is live-streamed to over 40 host sites across North America. The vision of the New Evangelization Summit is that the whole Church would be united in the mission of evangelization, and trained to be able to fully live out their identity as Missionary Disciples, as Pope Francis has stated. All those involved in pastoral work and outreach – especially priests and members of parish councils – are invited to attend and be inspired by the words of great speakers such as Bishop Robert Barron, Sr. Miriam Heidland, Peter Herbeck, and many others. The Diocese of Saskatoon host site this year will be located at St. Therese Institute in Bruno, Saskatchewan. The conference will be live-streamed at St. Therese, and will run from 7 pm on Friday May 12 to 4:30 pm on Saturday May 13. Registration cost is $35 (visit www.NewEvangelization.ca). If you wish to book overnight accommodations contact St. Therese Institute separately and book a room/breakfast for an additional $35 by calling (306) 369-2555. For those who can attend on Saturday only, please still register for the conference online and join us from 9:00 to 4:30 p.m. at St. Therese on May 13.
* The James P. Mahoney Institute of the Family provides grants to registered charities with initiatives and programs intended to strengthen and support the family in rural and urban communities within the geographic area of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon. Like the popular bishop for whom it is named, the Mahoney Institute reaches beyond the Catholic community and operates on a non-denominational basis. Deadline for applications is May 15, 2017. Apply online at www.SaskatoonCommunityFoundation.ca or call 306-665-1766 for more information.
The Canadian Association of Spiritual Care National Conference will be held April 26-29 in Saskatoon. The theme is "Critical Conversations: Bridges to the Future." Keynote speakers include Neal Kewistep giving the opening address "Animating the Spirit of Reconciliation", as well as Lorraine Wright, RN, PHD, on "Suffering, Spirituality & Illness: Clinical Ideas for Healing Conversations", and John Shepherd, MD, FRCP: "Medical Assistance in Dying -- A Clinician's Perspective. The conference will be held at the Delta Bessborough Hotel. Register for the full conference, or for a single day. For more information and registration go to the website: www.spiritualcare.ca
Annual Pure Witness Fundraising Dinner will be held Wednesday, May 3 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon, with cocktails at 5 p.m., catered dinner and program 6 p.m., and a cash bar. The evening will also include a silent auction, a live auction, a wine pull and entertainment. Come and learn more about Pure Witness Ministries and support the building of future leaders through the New Evangelization. Tickets are free: get them individually or reserve a table of eight. RSVP before April 26 by contacting Laura Rice: call or text (306) 717-7868 or email laura.rice [at] purewitness.com (if you wish to donate auction items, please call Laura as well.)
HOLY YOGA: classes create a space for Jesus and relaxation in simple prayer and movement. Spring session begins the week of April 24 with classes on Mondays and Thursdays at 7:00 pm and Tuesdays at 9:30 am at Cathedral of Holy Family. For more information or to pre-register, contact Diane at: dianew [at] holyyoga.net or 306-370-6682.
* Development and Peace Saskatchewan Keewatin-Le Pas Region presents: “Solidarity at the Heart of Right Relations” with guest speaker Harry Lafond, Office of the Treaty Commissioner Executive Director on Friday April 28, at 7:00 p.m. at Queen’s House Retreat Centre. Admission by silver collection. Everyone is welcome
* 100 years ago Our Lady of Fatima appeared to three shepherd children in Portugal, asking them to pray the rosary in devotion to her Immaculate Heart, in reparation for sin, for world peace and the salvation of souls. Events to mark this 100th anniversary are planned in Saskatoon:
Sunday, April 30, 7 p.m. – View the Oscar-nominated film The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima at the youth room of the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon – open to young and old, admission by donation.
Sunday, May 7, 2:30 p.m. –View the animated movie The Day the Sun Danced at St. Mary’s Hall, 211 Avenue O South, Saskatoon.
Thursday, May 11, 7 p.m. – Family Holy Hour with Eucharistic Adoration and the sung rosary by “The Little Flowers” at St. Philip Neri parish, 1904 Munroe Avenue, Saskatoon.
Friday, May 12, 7 p.m. – The Story of Fatima evening of prayer, rosary and a candlelight procession at Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon.
Saturday, May 13, 2 p.m. – Mass at St. Mary’s Parish, 211 Avenue O South, Saskatoon, in honour of the anniversary of the first apparition of Our Lady in Fatima 100 years ago, with Fr. Kevin McGee presiding, followed by an outdoor procession, before a gathering in St. Mary’s Hall for refreshments and entertainment (please bring a snack to share)
For more information Email nunesjennifer [at] hotmail.com or call 306-202-9469. Join the Facebook event page for “100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima” to see latest updates.
Participation from volunteers, cultural groups, schools and all parishes in the diocese of Saskatoon is welcomed and encouraged!
Saskatchewan March for Life May 11, 2017 Regina SK - Campaign Life Coalition, Saskatchewan Knights of Columbus, and Saskatchewan Pro Life Association Invite everyone to step up and speak up for life at the March for Life Thursday, May 11, 2017 in Regina. Theme: “We Stand on Guard for Thee”. Schedule: Mass 12:30 pm at Christ the King Parish, 3239 Garnet Street Regina; Registration 1:00- 3:00 pm at the Legislative Grounds; Program and Group Picture - 2:00-3 pm at the Legislative Grounds; and Witness on Albert Street-3:00-4:00 p.m. K of C Bus contact: Gerald Wiegers 1-306-342-0033 or Louis Roth 1-306-249 2764.
St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission at Bruno, Saskatchewan will mark its 10th Anniversary at this year’s Commissioning Celebration. We are thrilled to announce that St. Therese is just finishing up its 10th year of operation and we have nearly 200 alumni who have come through our school and spent a year of their lives focusing on developing their relationship with God, being formed in the Catholic faith, and practicing the spirituality of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. Please hold us in prayer on Saturday, May 20 as Archbishop Luigi Bonazzi, Apostolic Nuncio to Canada, joins us to celebrate our year-end Commissioning Mass.
Joe Zambon will be in concert at St. Therese Institute, Bruno, SK on Saturday May 6, beginning at 7 pm. The cost is a free-will offering. Joe travels extensively across North America sharing his music, and is well known for his thoughtful lyrics, dynamic guitar, and authentic style. Opening for Joe is SCMA nominated artist and sister duo Jay & Jo.
St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission at Bruno, SK is now accepting applications for the 2017-18 school year. Do you know a young adult (age 18-35 years) who would benefit from spending a year at St. Therese Institute learning about the Catholic faith, immersing themselves in a life of prayer and discipleship, and living in a vibrant Christian community? This one-year program is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for those who wish to serve the Church and the New Evangelization, and discover their mission and purpose. We now have transfer credits to select Universities across Canada. More information: www.StTherese.ca
* Divine Mercy Sunday will be celebrated in our diocese at 3:00 p.m. April 23, 2017 with a service (not a mass) celebrating The Feast of Divine Mercy led by Fr. Deyre Azcuna at the Cathedral of The Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road. Free will offering. Refreshments to follow. Everyone welcome.
Saskatchewan Pro-Life Convention: Living the Gospel of Life, April 28-29, Moose Jaw, SK. Guest speakers: Dr. Brett Salkeld, Carla Carlson, Mike Schouten, Jonathon Van Maren and Denae Pellerin. The Banquet will be held on Friday, April 28th at the Church of Our Lady Community Centre, the Convention will take place at the Vanier Collegiate on Saturday, April 29. For more information or to register please call Rosalie at (306) 694-0010. Find more information at: www.moosejawrighttolife.ca Childcare is available.
* Oremus for young adults (over 19 years) will be held 7-11 p.m. Friday, April 28 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon (in Queen of Peace Chapel). This is a time to be still, pray and intercede for the needs of each other, our community and the world. Includes testimonies and some table sharing, followed by social time of beer, wine, refreshments, cards, board games, etc. For more information, contact Colm Leyne at youthmin [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or (306) 659-5843.
* CWL presents 12 Hours for Palliative Care – May 4, 2017 – Plan to participate.
“Let us not underestimate the power of so many voices united in prayer.” – Pope Francis
The Catholic Women's League of Canada is once again calling upon this power of prayer through 12 Hours of Prayer for Palliative Care on May 4, 2017. This is designed to take place as a powerful lead-in to the National Hospice Palliative Care Week of May 7 to 13, 2017 (organized by the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association) as a profound witness to the sanctity of human life. Please join in supporting this day of prayer, either on May 4 or on a day during the week of May 7 to 13. The prayer can take place within a parish church, a home or elsewhere. Participation may include a large congregation, a few friends or solitary prayer at home. The 12 hours can be designed around local schedules. A “care kit” of information on the 12 Hours of Prayer for Palliative Care can be found online at www.cwl.ca or contact your local CWL council.
* Western Canadian Catholic Stewardship Conference, Vancouver June 9-11, 2017
Every 2nd year, since 2005, the WCCSC has been hosted by a diocese in Western Canada. This year the Archdiocese of Vancouver is host. The theme of the Conference is “Stewards of Christ’s Mission” with the hope that this gathering will help participants encounter Jesus Christ and will inspire them to carry on his mission of making disciples. This is a weekend of Encounter and Transformation. Early bird registration of $199.00 ends April 30. This conference is for all members of the church from Bishops and Pastors, PLD’s, parish leadership and laity. Please consider attending this conference. Visit www.wccsc.ca for more information on speakers, topics, registration and venue.
The Diocese of Saskatoon will be hosting the 2019 WCCSC. We are planning an exciting conference. Save the proposed dates June 7-8-9, 2019.
Mark Your Calendar! One More Soul presents Matt Fradd on Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, Saskatoon. Matt Fradd is a Catholic speaker, author, and founder of the ‘Porn Effect’, (practical strategies for parents to protect their children from the lies of an over-sexualized culture). For more information, please visit: www.omsoul.ca
Theology of the Body Conference: April 30 to May 4 – Join St. Therese Institute in Bruno, SK for a Theology of the Body conference led by internationally renowned speaker and author Christopher West. This unique approach to John Paul II’s teaching includes reflections on St. Thérèse of Lisieux that Christopher West only teaches at St. Therese Institute! Early bird rate is $445 – visit www.St-T.ca/TOB or call (306) 369-2555 for more details.
Springtime of the Faith Series: Each Spring in Bruno, SK, (50 minutes east of Saskatoon) St. Therese Institute offers a series of week-long courses on various topics (for example, Theology of Evangelization, Ignatian Discernment, etc.). These courses are available for anyone who is seeking deeper faith formation, a place of peace and holiness to encounter God, or to be equipped to for the New Evangelization. Cost per week is $395 - visit www.St-T.ca/SOTF for details about this year’s program, or call (306) 369-2555 for more details.
* Saskatoon Marriage Network presents “A Weekend of Impact” April 27-29 at Circle Drive Alliance, 3035 Preston Ave, Saskatoon, featuring Dave and Donalyn Currie of Doing Family Right Ministries. This event includes:
• Minister’s Luncheon/Workshop Thursday, April 27 for pastors/ ministry leaders: lunch followed by workshop on issues and challenges related to pornography.
• Marriage 2.0 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 28 for couples married 20-plus years, or those over age 45 in a second marriage ($99/couple).
• i-Parent from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Friday, April 28 on the topics of leaving a spiritual impact on your kids and raising confident children ($10/person).
• Marriage Fusion 2:1 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 29, a powerful marriage-building experience for all married couples, with a special focus on those married less than 20 years ($99 per couple).
Register online at: www.SaskatoonMarriageNetwork.ca or call (306) 373-5445 for more information. The Saskatoon Marriage Network includes Circle Drive Alliance, Emmanuel Baptist, Forest Grove Community Church, Massey Place Community Church, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon and Family Life Canada.
Development & Peace 50th anniversary celebrations: 5:00 pm Mass of Thanksgiving and 6:30 pm banquet and program will be held Saturday, April 29 at St. Mary Parish, Saskatoon to celebrate this region’s Development & Peace’s jubilee year. Banquet tickets are $25 and must be paid in advance. To purchase tickets please email Justine at dpsaskatchewan [at] devp.org or call the regional office at 306.937.7675. Tickets can also be purchased at Queen’s House of Retreats, 601 Taylor St. West, Saskatoon. We hope that you will join us.
Catholics and Evangelicals in Dialogue: A Small Group Opportunity - Pastor Harry Strauss, co-chair of the Saskatoon Catholic and Evangelical Dialogue, has written a small group resource specifically for dialogue. It is entitled Catholics and Evangelicals in Dialogue: A Small Group Discussion Guide. It is 7 sessions in length, addressing the topics of revelation, the church, salvation, baptism, communion, the communion of the saints, and missional engagement. It is designed for laypeople, shaped as a user-friendly resource. Anticipated outcomes include new friendships, shaped around spiritually engaging conversations, and most importantly, relational growth in Jesus Christ. The material has been field tested some, with good results. However, there is a desire for additional testing. If interested in being part of this effort, particularly in initiating and leading a small group, please contact Pastor H. Strauss at harry [at] forestgrovecc.com or call 306-280-7147.
Development and Peace is highlighting the crisis in South Sudan, where thousands are suffering due to civil war and famine: www.devp.org/en/emergencies/south-sudan The Diocese of Saskatoon, Canada, has a twinning relationship with the Diocese of Torit, South Sudan (for more information about twinning with South Sudan contact Myron Rogal at (306) 659-5841 or e-mail justpeace [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com )
Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools Foundation Inc. presents Swing into Spring Fashion Show & Dinner, May 4, 2017. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Hall B, Prairieland Park. Tickets are $70 per person. For tickets or more information, please contact by phone 306-659-7003 or email catholicschoolsfoundation [at] gscs.sk.ca
“Abide in Me” Retreat for Clergy, Pastors and Ministry Leaders – A 24-hour (4 p.m. to 4 p.m.) retreat for clergy, pastors and ministry leaders will be held May 28-29 at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon. Retreat leaders are Paul Matheson, senior pastor at First Baptist Church in Saskatoon; Fr. Kevin McGee, Diocesan Administrator of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon; and Dianne Mantyka, a leader in the Spiritual Direction Formation Program in Saskatoon. Cost: $150 (includes three meals). Overnight accommodations can also be booked. To register, call (306) 242-1916 or e-mail receptionist [at] queenshouse.org
Considering engagement or marriage? Check out Catholic Marriage Preparation options in our community, which are posted on the diocesan website at: http://saskatoonrcdiocese.com/marriage-and-family-life
PRAYER FOR A NEW BISHOP
Praise to you, Lord our God, our eternal shepherd and guide.
In your faithfulness, grant to the Diocese of Saskatoon
a shepherd whose watchful care and kindly zeal
will continue the good work of his predecessors.
In your love for us, give us a shepherd who will lead us
in being Christ’s heart of mercy,
voice of hope, and hands of justice.
May our new bishop fill our minds and hearts
with the truth of the Gospel, the power of the sacraments,
and the desire to build up your holy Church.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, your Son and our Lord,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen