Development and Peace / Caritas Canada
TITLE: Executive Director
PLACE OF WORK: Montreal
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible
DURATION: Five year tewrm
REFERENCE NUMBER: DG‐09‐16
TO APPLY: send a resume and cover letter to rh.hr [at] devp.org
OUR WEBSITE: www. devp.org
We encourage members of employment equity groups to apply. Only candidates with the right to work in Canada will be considered for this position.
DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE is one of Canada’s leading international development NGOs and is the official international solidarity organization of the Catholic Church in Canada. With an annual budget of approximately $35 million, DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE supports grassroots groups and social movements located in over 30 countries in the Global South and raises the awareness of Canadians on the causes of poverty and injustice in the world. DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE is a democratic movement, whose members across the country participate in the governance of the organization. It is the Canadian member of Caritas Internationalis, a confederation of Catholic development and humanitarian relief agencies, and is a member of several national and international networks, alliances and coalitions. In 2017, DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary.
- Under the authority of the National Council, the organization’s main governing body, the Executive Director (ED) works in close collaboration with the National Council President to plan, supervise and direct the affairs of the organization to ensure its operations, its development and its sustainability, all in compliance with its mission, culture and values. The ED sees to the setting‐up of programs and the good management of its departments in accordance with decisions taken by the National Council.
- The ED has extensive knowledge of the issues and stakes involved in international development, public engagement and education, advocacy and humanitarian aid. He or she is aware of the challenges facing non‐profit organizations and of strategies for overcoming these. She or he knows how to mobilize a movement of committed and hard‐working members to work on international development and social justice issues.
- The ED is responsible for developing and implementing the strategic plan and ensuring proper management of the organization’s human resources as well as its accounting and financial resources. The ED embodies a dynamic and inspiring representative of the organization for its staff, members and the general public.
- The ED fosters constructive relations with the organization’s main stakeholders, donors and within its various networks.
- The ED plays an inspiring leadership role among her/his immediate work team and ensures the management team’s effectiveness in accordance with the Collective Agreement.