May our loving God who provides the seed for sowing, the hand for doing, the breath for thinking, the heart for loving, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit bless all of our springtime work and play.
Here are the Announcements for this week:
* The Diocese of Saskatoon aims to make parishes safe places for everyone. The Covenant of Care and Sexual Abuse and Misconduct Protocol are the code of ethics and procedures dealing with issues of misconduct and abuse by both lay and ordained within our Catholic community. The covenant and protocol can be found online at www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/covenantofcare
Those without access to the Internet can obtain a copy of the documents by calling the Catholic Pastoral Centre at (306) 242-1500 or toll free at 1-877-661-5005.
If, after reading the documents, there are points you would like clarified, please feel free to contact your pastor or Diocesan Coordinator of Care Blake Sittler at (306) 659-5834.
All parishes have been asked to name a Parish Coordinator of Care (PCC) by mid-June and then to permanently promote the PPC name and contact number in the parish bulletin. Anyone who is aware of a breach of the protocol may contact the pastor or PPC. If you are uncomfortable with reporting it within the parish you may contact the Diocesan Coordinator of Care directly by calling Blake Sittler at (306) 659-5834. Allegations of a criminal nature should be made directly to city police or the local branch of the RCMP.
* The 25th Lay Formation Missioning Celebration in the diocese of Saskatoon will be held at the Cathedral of the Holy Family on Sunday June 2, 2013 at 2:30 p.m. All are invited to join those being missioned from the Lay Formation program. Tea to follow.
* The Catholic Bishops of Canada have declared May 12-19 as Life and Family Week
* Billboards about Life and Family Week will be on display this month in Saskatoon, placed by the Roman Catholic diocese and the Ukrainian Catholic eparchy
* View three winning entries in the I Love Life and Family video contest online at www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/lifeandfamily
* Register your date with your spouse from Date Day May 18 by calling 306-242-1500 before May 22 for a chance to win a night at the spa in Moose Jaw
* Find other resources for the week online at www.cccb.ca
* And most of all: take time to celebrate and thank God for the gift of life and of family!
In celebration of the Year of Faith and as suggested by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI the Church universal will identify an hour in which the Blessed Sacrament will be adored in churches throughout the world. Benedict stated that such times of prayer would help to intensify the celebration of faith in the liturgy, especially in the Eucharist, which is the summit towards which the activity of the Church is directed and also the source from which all its powers flow.
The Diocese of Saskatoon will join in this universal celebration by hosting an hour of Eucharistic Adoration on Saturday, June 1, at 3:00 pm at the Cathedral of the Holy Family with Solemn Benediction at 4:00 pm. Refreshments and fellowship will follow in the Area of Welcome. All are encouraged and welcome to attend.
* Ecumenical rural church leadership network event 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Thursday May 30 at Rosetown Alliance Church, 1002 6th Street, Rosetown, SK., focusing on the unique leadership needs of the rural church and how to develop a team that works. $10 covers lunch and resource materials. Register at www.ruralchurchpastorsnetwork.com
* Columbus Bosco Homes The Annual General Meeting for Columbus Bosco Homes is set for June 4, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at Bishop Murray School, at Wiggins Avenue and 12th Street East in Saskatoon. All those interested are welcome to attend. Together we are helping children and families step into the future. For further information call Ernest Boyko at (306) 260-6273 or (306) 374-2492 or Chris Sarich at (306) 221-4686 or (306) 343-5640.
* Alliance for Life Saskatoon will hold its Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, May 28 in St. Josephs Parish Hall at Broadway Avenue and 8th Street East in Saskatoon, beginning at 7:30 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
* 2ND ANNUAL LATIN FEST: St. Marys Hispanic Community will be hosting their 2nd Annual Latin Fest on Sunday May 26th from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm at the Saskatoon Farmers Market. Ticket prices are $25 for adults, $20 for students and seniors, and $10 for children under 12. Tickets are available at St. Mary parish office during regular office hours or by phoning 306-244-2983.
The Fourth Annual St. Isidore Pastoral Region Day on Sunday, June 9, 2013 @10:30 am. The celebration of the Eucharist with the parishes of St. Anthony, St. Ann, St. George and former members of the parishes of St. James, St. Martin, and Holy Family (Beauchamp) will take place at 10:30 am on June 9 at St. Anthony Parish (outside if the weather cooperates). The day is to celebrate the unity of the three parishes served by Fr. Richard Meidl, OSB and the former members of all the parishes in the region. There will be lunch provided after the Eucharist celebration. Donations welcome. (St. Isidore, Box 62, Lake Lenore SK S0K 2J0) Questions call 306-368-2346
St. Francis Xavier University offers distance education courses for adults seeking faith formation for personal and professional development: Diploma in Ministry; Certificate in Lay Ministry; Certificate in Spirituality; and Diploma in Intellectual Disability Studies. For information contact toll free 1-877-867-5562, email@example.com or see the website: www.sites.stfx.ca/continuingeducation/ministry
* Hearts Aflame: Living and Sharing the Gospel Here and Now - The Western Conference of Catholic Religious Educators (WCCRE) presents a catechetical conference for all who share faith with adults, youth, or children Nov. 8-11 at the Ramada Inn in Regina. For more information or a brochure, contact: www.wccre.org or Lynda Statchuk at (306) 338-3502 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org There are a limited number of diocesan bursaries available for this conference. Find the bursary application form at: www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/laity_education
* Stewardship Corner: May 19th Pentecost Sunday
One miracle of Pentecost was that, despite their diversity, each listener heard Gods word in his or her own language. By sharing the gifts poured out on us by the Holy Spirit, we will be empowered to meet the needs of our brothers and sisters, whatever they may be.
For more information on Stewardship, please see Parish Stewardship Resources at www.dscatholicfoundation.ca/parish-stewardship-resources or contact Jocelyne Hamoline at (306) 659-5849 or email email@example.com
* Notes from our diocesan Brazil Mission: Sr. Claire Novecosky, osu, writes from Macei: May and June will see the celebration of several patron saint feasts of the communities. The festivities (festas) usually last several days and end with a closing Mass and procession. We never cease to be amazed at the numbers of people who take part in these processions. It seems that the people of God know they are pilgrims journeying to their eternal homeland.
Queens House Events for May and June 2013:
Queens House Retreat Renewal Centre is located at 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon. Register for programs by calling (306) 242-1916 or e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or for more information contact Linda Labelle: email@example.com
or the new Queens House website: www.queenshouse.org
Centering Prayer with Father Paul Fachet, OMI, (donation): 7 to 8 p.m. May 27.
Parish Secretaries Retreat with Paul Fachet, OMI 9:30 a.m. 3:00 p.m. ($25 includes lunch) May 22
Christianity Rooted in Cosmic Earth Awareness: As Followers of Jesus with Maureen Wild, SC 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ($95 includes lunch) May 25
Centering Prayer - Father Paul Fachet OMI 8:00 pm (donation) June 3, 10, 17, 24
Journeying with Scripture (Book of Revelation) with Father Paul Fachet, OMI 10:00 am to 12 noon ($15/session) June 5
Taize 8:00 9:00 p.m. (donation) June 11
Women in Ministry Retreat Finding our Voice in Leadership with Rev. Catherine Harper, Rev. Amanda Currie; Marie-Louise Ternier-Gommers, and AnnE Zimmerman Sunday dinner 5:30 Tuesday Lunch ($225 live-in / $150 commuters) June 9-12
* The Monastic Way: Benedictine Spirituality for Today with Sister Mary Coswin OSB 9 am 4 pm ($95. includes lunch) June 15
To register for any of these Queens House programs, please call 306-242-1916 or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spiritual Direction by trained and experienced staff is available upon request at Queens House. For more information contact our coordinator, Sister Adeline Behm, FDLP email@example.com or (306) 242-1916 or (306) 652-1510.
Queens House website is up and running at: www.queenshouse.org Check out programs and activities and much more!
* Diocesan Office of Migration - The office established last year at the Catholic Pastoral Centre to assist parishes, groups and individuals with refugee sponsorship and outreach will close in June; see: www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com/bishop/index.cfm The diocese is now seeking interested volunteers who care passionately about the plight of refugees in our world to help move this important work forward. An information meeting will be held 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 18 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road in Saskatoon. All those interested are urged to attend this important meeting.
Prayer for Families Catholic Week of Life and Family
God of all times and places, we ask you to be with us as we pray:
For families who struggle to speak to one another in love,
For families who delight in being together,
For families who want to live with less in order that others might have more,
For families who do not have enough, and struggle for the necessities of life,
For families who read your word together,
For families who find it hard to spend any time together,
For my family, For the families in my community, For the families in our parish,
For the families around the world, For all families,
we pray that your love will grow in all familis so that your love will shine through them. We ask this through Christ Our Lord. Amen
And from last week
The HOPE Cancer Help Centre Inc. would like to establish a support group for cancer patients. A group facilitator is required. Social Work background and experience with cancer, either personally or with a family member, would be beneficial. This is a volunteer position. For further information, please call Donna Boyce, coordinator, at 306-955-4673, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.hopcancerhelpcentre.com
Ordination of Daniel Yasinski and Colin Roy to the priesthood will be celebrated at 7 p.m. Friday, June 14 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road in Saskatoon.
* EMPLOYMENT - Youth Ministry Coordinator- St Annes Parish, Saskatoon
St. Annes Parish Centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is looking to hire a new full-time youth ministry coordinator beginning in June of 2013. St. Annes Youth Ministry is comprised of EDGE middle school ministry and Senior Youth ministry, and liaisons to five different elementary schools and one high school.?There exists a strong sense of community within St. Annes Youth Ministry, and there are teams in place to help facilitate the programming of events. A servant- leader is required to coordinate these teams and ministries. Applicants require:
* An active prayer and faith life obedient to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
* An undergraduate degree; preferably in Religious Studies, Philosophy, Theology or relevant experience.
* Canadian Certificate in Youth Ministry Studies through CCYMS, or a willingness to pursue.
* Two years of movement or parish based ministry experience.
* Experience and confidence in leadership roles within team - based ministry.
* Public speaking skills
* Knowledge regarding the preparation and execution of various liturgical celebrations.
* Organizational skills, including time management and file keeping.
* Involvement with N.E.T. Ministries, CCO, Face to Face Ministries, Development and Peace or Intercordia. * Prior involvement/ formation within a vibrant, comprehensive, parish youth ministry. * Training or certification in the protection of vulnerable persons. * ASIST Suicide prevention training. * First Aid training * Food safety training * Visionary attitude
For more information please contact Fr. Lawrence DeMong by e-mail at Lawrence.email@example.com or visit our website at www.saintannes.ca
* Retrouvaille ( www.helpourmarriage.com ) is a lighthouse for marriages on stormy seas. If you are interested in learning more about Retrouvaille please see a brochure at the back of your church or if you would like to find out more or register for the next Saskatchewan weekend being held in Saskatoon in September 2013, please call Ken and Rita at (306) 652-7155 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Retrouvaille?... a lifeline for Marriages
A program to Help Couples Heal and Renew their Marriages.
* Do you feel lost, alone or bored in your marriage?
* Are you frustrated, hurt or angry with your spouse?
* Are you constantly fighting? Or, do you simply shut down?
* Have you thought about separation or divorce?
* Does talking about it only make it worse?
Retrouvaille can help.
www.helpourmarriage.com or call Ken and Rita at (306) 652-7155.
(Parishes: please consider running a Retrouvaille announcement and/or the contact information several times in the months ahead to ensure couples who are struggling become aware this ministry is available.)
* Free electronic organ to give away, in excellent playing condition, also good to look at; 39 inches by 24 inches by 35 inches high; equipped with tape recorder and outlet for headphones, located in Saskatoon. Phone (306) 373-3738.
The first annual Evening Under the Stars concert will assist St. Pauls Hospital Foundation to purchase a Digital Transmission Electron Microscope, the first of its kind in Saskatchewan. The concert is scheduled for Wednesday, August 21 at Whitecap Sports Centre on the Whitecap Dakota First Nation south of Saskatoon. Gates will open at 5:00 p.m. Early bird tickets are $50 and are available at Sask Jazz Festival Box Office, Delta Bessborough Hotel 601 Spadina Cres E, 306.652-4700 or 1.800.638.1211.
The Evening Under the Stars concert offers great food, captivating entertainment and an opportunity to experience First Nations culture all wrapped up in a natural prairie setting with a full moon to light the stage. Headline act is The Music of Queen, presented by Jeans n Classics, accompanied by the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra and a local symphonic choir. Detailed information is available at http://eveningunderthestars.ca
* The CWL Clothing depot, located at 619-20th St. West, in Saskatoon, would appreciate donations of new and gently-used summer clothing, shoes and purses. Also required are sheets, comforters, blankets, towels and small kitchen items. These can be dropped off at the above address or call 306-242-5042 for pick up at your front door. *Please note telephone number correction.
* The annual Diocesan Cenacle of Prayer will be held on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at St. Pauls Co-Cathedral 720 Spadina Cr East, Saskatoon, Sk. Holy Mass followed by Cenacle, Celebrants Fr. Pius Schroh and Fr. Denis Phaneuf. Everyone is welcome. Contact: Edna Evans at 306-382-1680
* STEWARDSHIP CONFERENCE - Something you dont want to miss!! Our Call to Holiness: Using Our Gifts to do Gods Work The 2013 Western Canadian Catholic Stewardship Conference will be held in Prince Albert from May 31 to June 2. This is an opportunity for parish council members, pastoral leaders, and anyone else who may be interested, to deepen understanding about the call to be good stewards of time, treasure, talent and all the gifts of God. For information visit the websites at: www.wccsc.ca or www.pastewardship.com or call Lawrent Fournier at (306) 922-4747.
* Mary is a beacon of hope for people who suffer. Join us in praying the rosary at the Regional Psychiatric Centre on Wednesdays at 2 pm. Contact Peter Oliver for more information at 306-260-6213 or by email at email@example.com. A response to crime that is rooted in prayer brings peace and safety to our communities.
* Bursaries for the Summer Ecumenical Institute
There are ten bursaries of $150 each available for Catholic lay people attending the 2013 Summer Ecumenical Institute, June 10-13, offered by the Diocese of Saskatoon. Information about the 2013 SEI entitled Reconciling Churches, Reconciling People is available at the PCE website www.pcecumenism.ca
Bursary applications are available here or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Peters College Summer Writing workshops are designed to create success for a rich mix of individuals. This includes those who are pursuing writing as a career, as well as those who want to begin to learn writing and other creative techniques. The workshops begin July 5 and continue through to August 9. Workshops that are offered are: The Art of Memory; The Hired Pen: Freelance Journalism for Writers; Beyond Snaps: Steps to Creative Photography; and Self-Publishing, Cover Design, and Marketing. For more information and registration summer writing workshops, please contact St. Peters College at 306-682-7888 or online at www.stpeterscollege.ca
* Kenya Orphanage Mission: Jesus Leads Us is a mission that began in 2006 to build a boarding school/orphanage in the city of Eldoret, Kenya. There will be a fundraising banquet for the orphanage at 6 p.m. May 24 at St. Augustine hall in Humboldt. For tickets e-mail: email@example.com (Adults $20; children 6-12 years $6; 5 and under free). For more info see: www.jesusleadsus.com
* The 110th Anniversary Celebration of St. Boniface Church, in Leofeld, Sask will be held Sunday, June 9, 2013. (Leofeld is near Cudworth, Sask). Afternoon Mass at 2:00 p.m. will be followed by the re-blessing of the Crucifix in the St. Boniface Parish cemetery. There will be supper and socializing to follow. All former parishioners and friends are very welcome and encouraged to attend the celebration! The planning committee requests that you please RSVP to allow for the proper quantity of food. Please contact Loreen at 306-256-3571 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org before June 1, 2013.
* Theatre with meaning: Forgiven/Forgotten - How does your church offer hospitality in difficult situations? Forgiven/Forgotten is a play that tackles this question when a church is thrown into turmoil upon hearing an offender will be serving his parole in their community. Theatre of the Beat, a drama troupe travelling across Canada, will present this thought-provoking play in Saskatoon:
* Thursday, May 23, 7 p.m. - St Marys Wellness Education Centre, (the new St. Marys School), 327 Avenue N South, Saskatoon.
* Saturday, May 25, 7 p.m. BJM High School Commons Area, 231 Primrose Drive, Saskatoon.
Donations will be taken at the door with proceeds going to local restorative justice initiatives. See the website www.forgivenforgotten.wordpress.com for more details or call Heather Peters at Mennonite Central Committee office 306.665.2555.
* Saskatchewan Provincial Catholic Womens League will be holding their annual convention from noon on Monday, June 3 to 3:00 pm on Tuesday June 4, 2013. All events will be held at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, Saskatoon. All Council Presidents have received the registration package. Cost of the convention and all meals is $52. Registration closes on May 21, 2013. Please contact a council president if you wish to attend or go to www.cwlsk.ca to download the agenda and registration form, All CWL members are encouraged to attend. National Spiritual Advisor, His Grace Martin Currie, Archbishop of St Johns Newfoundland Labrador, is our Special Guest and speaker. All Spiritual Advisors and interested participants are invited to attend a special workshop on the morning of Tuesday, June 4. Leah Perrault of the Saskatoon Diocese Pastoral Centre will also be a guest, speaking on our theme We Have Seen the Lord. Please plan to attend. (If you need more information contact your council president).
* Evangelizing through the Lens of Faith and Culture the 23rd Annual Conference of the Western Conference for the Catechumenate (WCC) will be held June 7-8, 2013 at the FCJ Sisters Christian Life Centre, 219-19th Avenue SW, in Calgary, AB. The conference features speaker Msgr. Michael Clay, a priest for the diocese of Raleigh, North Carolina, and an assistant professor in pastoral studies at The Catholic University of America in Washington. For 25 years, Msgr. Clay has been an internationally recognized authority on the implementation of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). For more information about this conference, or to register, contact Michelle Sieben at 306-358-2057 or e-mail: email@example.com Registration deadline is May 27. Cost per person: $150, or for two or more people from the same parish, there is a reduced rate of $140 each (includes Saturday lunch and dinner, as well as light refreshments throughout the event). Pre-registration is required. This is a great conference for anyone who prepares adults or children for the sacraments, or works in offices of liturgy or catechesis, including lay people, volunteers, pastoral associates, priests and deacons!
Year of Faith Religious Education Resources and videos are available free from the Redemptorists of the Edmonton-Toronto province. Topics include gifts of the Holy Spirit, sin and addictions, corporal and spiritual works of mercy, family life, and the Eucharist. Find free resources at: www.redemptorist.tv
Employment Opportunity: A part time person is required for kitchen and housekeeping duties at St. Angela Merici Residencea retirement home in Saskatoon for the Ursuline Sisters of Prelate. Home cooking and baking skills required. Hours will vary, but 48 hours guaranteed in a two week period. For further information, contact Theresa Winterhalt at 306-242-5566, or fax resume to 306-975-7046.
The following announcement requests come from groups outside of our Catholic ministry partners in the diocese. As always, the parish Pastor and Parish Life Director are invited to make all publication decisions regarding their particular parish communities.
May 19, Pentecost Sunday: Prayers from Earthcare Connections
1. May we welcome the diversity of our community and recognize the Spirit present in each other. We pray to the Lord.
2. Help us live in peace with each other while upholding the wellbeing of the earth. We pray to the Lord.