As our diocese and Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools mark a Day of Prayer for Healing and Reconciliation this week, we pray for our country. God of justice and forgiveness, guide us as we continue on the pathway to reconciliation. Help us all to build right relations with each other. Show us how to do all things with truth, justice, and above all, with love. We pray to the Lord….
1. May we remain faithful and patient in working to renew and save our earth. We pray to the Lord.
2. Help us remember our responsibility to share food and resources with those in need. We pray to the Lord.
* Bishop’s Annual Appeal:
We are grateful to all who pledged their support this weekend to the 2016 Bishop’s Annual Appeal. Your gift will help our diocese to meet the many and varied needs of the people of this diocese. If you did not take the opportunity to make your gift, you may do so at any time over the next few weeks by placing your pledge in the collection basket – or donate to the Appeal online at: www.dscatholicfoundation.ca For more information about the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, call Cathy Gilje at (306) 659-5851.
Prayer of the Faithful for the Annual Appeal
For gratitude that we have been invited to pass on the gift of loving mercy that God shows us through the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, We pray to the Lord...
* Day of Prayer for Reconciliation and Healing - In response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon and Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools (GSCS) – through the leadership of the Diocesan Council of Truth and Reconciliation – will observe the second annual Day of Prayer for Reconciliation and Healing on Friday, Oct. 21 (the anniversary of the canonization of St. Kateri Tekakwitha, the first North American Indigenous woman to be declared a saint by the Roman Catholic Church). Please join in prayer this week for continued healing, awareness and reconciliation in our country, our community and our church.
* Help for Haiti - In the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, Development and Peace has issued an emergency appeal to provide assistance and relief to the people of Haiti. To donate, go to the website: www.devp.org or call 1-888-234-8533 or mail a cheque made out to “Development and Peace” to 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd. W., 3rd Floor, Montreal, QC, H3G 1T7. (Please Write “Emergency Haiti” at the bottom of cheque).
The Hindu Society of Saskatchewan announces the Opening Ceremony-Inauguration of a new Temple Hall to be held on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 8:45 a.m. at 107 La Ronge Drive, Saskatoon, Sk. (The Pooja Ceremony will be conducted by Pandit Hari Shankar Dabral. Preeti Bhoj will be served after the Pooja.) Subash Biswal, the President of the Hindu Society of Saskatchewan and Leela Sharma and Mythili Venkatraman, co-chairs of the Temple Expansion Committee thank you for marking the occasion with your blessings.
Development and Peace gathering 7 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 25 at Holy Spirit Parish, 114 Kingsmere Place, Saskatoon will feature information about the Canadian Food Grains Bank and its relation to the D&P Fall Action Campaign, focusing on climate change and support for small family farms.
* Hands Across the Bridge – Oct. 17 to 23 is Poverty Awareness Week. A Hands Across the Bridge event will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, in Friendship Park at the bottom of the Broadway Bridge in Saskatoon. Hands Across the Bridge is a spirited community human chain on the Broadway Bridge, where participants stand together to show that we are united against poverty and homelessness.
St. Patrick Parish Fall Supper will be held 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30. Ticket prices: Adults: $15, Ages 6 to 12 years: $5, and preschoolers are free, but require a ticket. Tickets are available at the Parish Office (306) 384-1100 or stpatrickparish [at] sasktel.net – Advance tickets only!
* YEP - Verso L'alto: To the Top! Saturday, Oct. 29. Join us for the day as we journey through the life of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati during an awesome day full of games, talks, small groups, Mass, Confession, Praise and Worship, fellowship, and fun for youth Grade 8 and up! Presented by Pure Witness Ministries, YEP (Youth Evangelization Program) will be held this month from 10 am - 7 pm Oct. 29 at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, 1235-12th Street East, Saskatoon. The cost is $25 for the day with lunch and supper included. Keep updated on events at https://purewitness.com/events/
* Family Dance & Games Night - A night of fun and fellowship for the whole family 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, 1235-12th Street East, Saskatoon for all ages. It's free, so come on out ... to dance, play cards, or just visit with friends! Bring a snack to share. Keep updated on events at https://purewitness.com/events/
Station 20 West -- Touch of Ukraine Supper and Silent Auction – Bring your family and friends for a delicious meal and entertainment in support of the programs and services of Station 20 West. The Ukraine Supper and Silent Auction will be held Saturday, Nov. 5 at Bethlehem High School, 110 Bowlt Crescent, Saskatoon. Tickets: $30 per adult; $15 per child (under 12), available at e-mail: info [at] station20west.org or phone (306) 343-9378, or at McNally Robinson Booksellers, 3130 8th Street East. Cash bar at 5:00 p.m. Nov. 5; supper at 6 p.m. Special performers: Saskatoon’s wonderful Yevshan Ukrainian Folk dancers.
Dinner Theatre: “Baba & Gido’s 50th Wedding Anniversary,” an interactive comedy for all ages will be presented Nov. 18-19 at Ss. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church Auditorium, 10th Street East and Munroe Avenue, Saskatoon. Tickets: $60 each. For detailed ticket information please see the website www.bbessi.org or contact the Bishop Budka Eparchial Stewardship Society at (306) 653-0138 (Ext. 223) or e-mail bbessi [at] outlook.com
* Our Common Home: As Long as the Rivers Flow public symposium will be held 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, October 22 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon. The deadline to register is 12:00 p.m. noon on Tuesday, Oct. 18. Using the central insights of Pope Francis’ encyclical, Laudato Si’, this day-long symposium will begin to explore implications for such areas as Treaty Rights, the use of water and other natural resources in Saskatchewan, concerns regarding mining development, implementation of TRC recommendations, attitudes and decisions affecting refugees and other immigrants, and - above all - the interplay among these diverse areas, locally and beyond. Keynote speakers include Bishop Donald Bolen, Lyndon Linklater of the Office of the Treaty Commissioner, Bert Pitzel of the Archdiocese of Regina and Saskatchewan author Trevor Herriot. Cost $50/person. Register at receptionist [at] queenshouse.org call Jim at (306) 220-1504 for more info, or visit www.saskatoonrcdiocese.com events calendar.
* CALLED AND GIFTED WORKSHOP – Oct. 21 in Saskatoon
Discover God's Call for your Life - You will learn:
- The ancient teachings of the Church on how charism of the Holy Spirit work in your life and in the life of you parish community.
- The five steps of discerning the charims that God has given you.
- The signs and characteristics of the 24 most common charism of the Holy Spirit
- How discerning your charism can change your own life
- How discerning your charism can change the world and help spread the Gospel.
- How discerning and using our charisms together can help transform and renew our parishes.
This Called and Gifted Workshop is Useful For: Parents People in transition, New or Returning Catholics, Catholic discerning a call to religions life or ordination, and Parish staff and leaders who want to nurture and empower parishioners. EVERYONE. You will receive a copy of the Catholic Spiritual Gifts Inventory and detailed participant notes and materials.
WHEN: Friday, Oct 21 - 9:00 a.m. to 5:OO p.m. - $40 (includes lunch).
Where: Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon
To register: please contact Rita Taylor at 306-659-5831 or logistics [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com Register by Wednesday, Oct 19, 2016.
* Christian Study of Islam: An Introduction - This is a pioneer course in our region, organized by Sr. Phyllis Kapuscinski, NDS, Fr. Colin Clay (Anglican), and Fr. Bernard de Margerie (Roman Catholic), featuring several speakers over five evenings:
- Introduction of the course as an undertaking of Christian faith and hope seeking understanding will begin the series at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon -- an introduction by Fr. Bernard de Margerie.
- Introduction to the Qur’an with Imam Ilyas Sidyot; this session will also include a brief history presented by Dr. Brenda Anderson of Christiam-Muslim engagement over the centuries 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25 at Holy Family Cathedral.
- The relationship of the Bible and Qur’an, including the Qur’anic understanding of Jesus 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 3, at the Cathedral of the Holy Family: this session will be in the form of a public lecture presented by Dr. Roland E. Miller, with Imam Ilyas Sidyot as responder.
- A visit to the Saskatoon Islamic Association Mosque, 222 Copeland Cres. Saskatoon will be held as part of the series, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8.
- Called to prayer discussion and a panel presentation on “Where do we go from here?” 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15 at Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Rd, Saskatoon.
Pre-registration is recommended. Call (306) 659-5831 to register for this series organized through the Foundations: Exploring Our Faith Together diocesan office. (Please note: Fr. Bernard de Margerie has created a recommended reading list and/or can provide a course overview: contact jumeau [at] shaw.ca or (306) 651-7051.)
Queen’s House of Retreats – Upcoming events
* Queen’s House - 601 Taylor Street W, Saskatoon, SK. Phone: 306-242-1916 • Email: receptionist [at] queenshouse.org • Website: www.queenshouse.org
Ongoing programs at Queen’s House include:
- CENTERING PRAYER: Monday evenings - 7pm
- HOLY EUCHARIST: Wednesday afternoons - call to confirm time – all are welcome!
- PERSONAL DAY(S) OF PRIVATE PRAYER: Book anytime
- TAIZE PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY 2nd Tuesday/month - 8 pm
- DAY AWAY – Gisele Bauche - 2nd Wednesday each month - $25 includes lunch
- 24 HOUR EUCHARISTIC ADORATION: 4th Monday/month, from 12:00 noon to Tuesday 12:00 noon.
- Knights of Columbus Brothers Keeper Breakfast: 2nd Tuesday/month 7 a.m.
- WOMEN in MINISTRY LUNCHEONS: 1 Friday a month from 12 to1:30 pm – next is November 4
- JOURNEY WITH SCRIPTURE: 1st Wed. Fr Paul Fachet- $25 includes lunch – November 2
THE DIVINE DANCE: The Trinity & Your Transformation: A video Webcast featuring Richard Rohr and William Paul Young (author of The Shack). When: Thursday, October 13 from 7-9 pm at Queen’s House and: Tuesday, October 18 from 7-9 pm at St. Andrews Anglican Church Humboldt. Cost: $10. Please contact Queen’s House to register.
SILENT DIRECTED RETREAT: Be still & know: with Bishop Gerry Wiesner OMI and Dianne Mantyka, Friday, October 28 at 7:00 pm until Sunday, October 30 at 1:00 pm. Live-in only $345 (lodging, meals, room, facilitation & spiritual direction)
Lay Formation Presents: A GOSPEL SERIES, held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon, Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.; $40 per session (lunch included) DATES: November 5 The Gospel of Luke with Fr Paul Fachet, OMI; December 3 The Gospel of John with Gisele Bauche
SACRED SCRIPTURES of GOD'S PEOPLE: with Pastor Vern Ratzlaff. When: Sunday afternoons from 2:00-3:30 pm on October 30, November 6, 13, 20, 27. Cost: $10 / session or $40 for the series; held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon
HOLY SCRIPTURE; HOLY LIVES: Bible Study for Busy People: with Gisele Bauche. Come for one, some or all sessions: October 25, November 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 from 10 a.m. to noon and repeated from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon.
AN INTRODUCTION to the ENNEAGRAM: with Sarah Donnelly and Sr. Marie Gorsalitz OSU; When: Saturday, November 26 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Cost: $55 – includes lunch. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon.
Spiritual Direction - Have you considered inviting a spiritual director to journey with you as a trusted companion? The spiritual director is a dedicated traveller of the interior pathways and has the skills to accompany another person who is experiencing the joys and challenges of life. The director listens, encourages, supports and assists the seeker in paying attention to their life. Queen’s House has a number of trained spiritual directors who come from the ecumenical Christian community and offer a wide variety of interests and experience. If you are new to spiritual direction or have any questions please contact our coordinator, Sr. Adeline, 306-242-1916 (x234). A suggested offering for spiritual direction is a sliding fee of $25 to $75 a session.
* THE HOLY YEAR OF MERCY: with Bishop Gerry Wiesner OMI Wednesdays from 7:00 to 8:00 pm on October 19, 26 & November 2. Celebrating God’s Mercy with Bishop Gerry Wiesner, OMI. Time: Wednesdays, October 19, 26, November 2, from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Cost: Donation at the door. Pope Francis has blessed us with a Holy Year of Mercy. It is a time for us to become more personally and deeply steeped in God’s mercy, to see how we are so frequently touched with God’s mercy in our lives, and to reflect on our call to “be merciful as your Father is merciful.” Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon.
CONTEMPLATIVE and MYSTICAL PRAYERS: with Linda Labelle When: Tuesdays, October 18 and 25 from 7:00-9:00 pm. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon. Cost: $95 for all 6 sessions.
ICON WORKSHOP SERIES: with Anna Mycyk & Gisele Bauche; October 19, 26, November 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, December 7 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon. Cost: $175 / 8 classes plus $110 to $125 for the gesso wood panel board.
Includes: materials, pigments, 23 kt gold leaf on bole. To register: Contact Gisele at email: gbauche [at] sasktel.net
TRANSITIONS: Your Journey of Transformation through Grief and Loss: With Sarah Donnelly. (Call Sarah at 306-717-3707 for more information and to register) When: Thursday October 27 at 7:00 pm through Sunday, October 30 at 1:00 pm Cost: $390 (live in includes program, bedroom, meals). Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon
CELEBRATING YOUR CREATIVE SPIRIT: A Retreat for Artists: with Gisele Bauche When: Saturday, October 29 from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. Held at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street Saskatoon. Cost: $55 – includes lunch
SPIRITUAL FORMATION DAYS: as part of Spiritual Direction Formation
Times: Saturdays from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm. Cost: $40 per session includes registration, refreshments and lunch.
• SPIRITUAL EMERGENCIES: with Dr. Nancy Reeves Saturday, November 19 from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm
• SPIRITUALITY & PSYCHOLOGY in SEXUALITY & INTIMACY: with Bill Nelson Saturday, December 10 from 9:00 am until 4:00 p.m.
Queen’s House is located at 601 Taylor Street W, Saskatoon, SK. Phone: 306-242-1916 • E-mail: receptionist [at] queenshouse.org • Website: www.queenshouse.org
Pope Francis has declared an Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy this year:
“The church sensed a responsibility to be a living sign of the Father’s love in the world. ‘Now the bride of Christ wishes to use the medicine of mercy rather than taking up arms of severity…..The Catholic Church, as she holds high the torch of the Catholic Truth at this Ecumenical Council, wants to show herself a loving mother to all; patient, kind, moved by compassion and goodness toward her separated children”
(St. John XXIII, Opening Address of Vatican II Council – Gaudet Mater Ecclesia, 11 October, 1962)
Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia - Think:
Physicians and other health care staff have a basic human right to conscientiously object to hastening a patient’s death through assisted suicide or euthanasia and should never be forced to do so.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONTINUING FROM LAST WEEK:
Follow the diocese on Twitter @saskatooncath or like the diocese on Facebook at www.facebook.com/saskatoonrcdiocese/ for news and information on people and events
* Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools Board of Education Elections:
An all candidates’ forum will be held Tuesday, October 18, 7 p.m. at E.D. Feehan Catholic High School (411 Avenue M North). This is your opportunity to hear what potential trustees have to say and to ask questions. Fourteen candidates are vying for seven member-at-large positions in Saskatoon. Municipal elections are October 26. Visit www.gscs.ca/election for more information.
Priest-Prophet-King - PPK Catholic Men's Night will be held 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon. Come for adoration, reconciliation, food/drink, a talk, and fellowship. Visit www.priestprophetking.org for details.
* Parishes of Discipleship: Where is our parish going? What can we do in our parish to rejuvenate our people? Do we need a plan or a mission? These are the great questions that will be discussed on Saturday, October 29 from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Cathedral of the Holy Family. Facilitators Fr. Matthew Ramsay, Christy Dupuis, Matthew Courchene and Blake Sittler will discuss the benefits of coming up with a step-by-step plan and will offer their experience of what works and what does not in this workshop entitled Parishes of Discipleship. $10/person or $50/parish (bring as many as you like) – includes lunch. Please contact Rita Taylor to register at (306) 659-5831 or e-mail her at logistics [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com
* 200 Years of Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Please join us in celebrating the 200th Anniversary of our Congregation on Friday, Oct. 21, at St. Francis Xavier Parish (222 Willow St., Saskatoon) Eucharist will begin at 7:00 p.m. Regina’s new Archbishop Most Rev. Donald Bolen will be presiding with Fr. Ken Forster, Provincial for the Province of OMI Lacombe, Canada as the Homilist. A wine and cheese celebration will follow. All are welcome to attend.
* Friends of Fr. Martin Vuni Bountiful Blessing Meal - A fund-raising evening in support of the ongoing work of Fr. Martin during a time of unrest in South Sudan will be held Friday, Nov. 4 at St. Patrick Parish Hall, 3339 Centennial Drive, Saskatoon; cocktails at 5:30 p.m., Dinner at 6:15 p.m. and fellowship to follow until 8:30 p.m. The evening hopes to be a celebration of the good work being done as well as an awareness of the present needs. Features a traditional roast beef dinner with all locally grown and crafted ingredients in an evening of awareness and community building. Other features include live music, children’s activities, presentations, cash bar and 50/50. Tickets to be purchased in advance by Oct 28. Tickets are: $25/adult, $10/student, and under 6 years/free. For tickets in Saskatoon contact Kevin Gooding at (306) 270-2941, or Myron Rogal at (306) 659-5841; for tickets west of Saskatoon contact Rose-Anne at (306) 221-3014.
* K of C in support of Fr. Patrick’s Nigerian School Fundraiser: Fr. Patrick Ampani is supporting 17 students in Nigeria, 16 in a regular school as well as one in the seminary. This includes tuition and uniforms. He was given this opportunity when he was young and now he is giving back. Without this support, these young people would have not have the opportunity to attend school, especially girls. On Saturday, Nov. 5, a fundraising supper will be held at Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, 300-8th Ave. South, Martensville for this cause. Tickets are $25 per person. Cocktails begin at 5:30 p.m. with supper at 6:00 p.m., a program and auction to follow. For tickets or if you have any items to donate for the auction, please contact either Ron Martens 306-933-2091 or 306-933-2005 or Bernadette Mysko 306-241-3008.
Pews for sale: Christ the King parish, Foam Lake, have used, although in excellent condition, pews with kneelers to sell: six 8 feet, fir pews and twelve 12 feet, oak pews. Please contact Val Helgason at either 306-272-7839 or email bvhelgason [at] sasktel.net for more information.
Holy Spirit parishioners, former parishioners, friends and neighbours are invited to the 50th Anniversary Holy Spirit Parish Jubilee Fall Supper, Sunday, Oct. 23. There will be two seating times: 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Cost is $20/adult, $10 for children 12 and under (children 2 and under are free). For more information or tickets, please call Robyn at 306-227-3224 or email: robyn918 [at] gmail.com
* Third Annual Knights of Columbus Celebrity Dinner to raise funds for the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Saskatchewan will be held Friday, Oct. 28 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family in Saskatoon, featuring entertainment and speakers Alvin Law and Richard Pound, and the father/son music group Ryan and Brian. MCs will be Fr. David Tumback and John Gormley. Tickets are $125 per person with tables of eight available. Includes both a live auction and a silent auction. For more information or to purchase tickets, contact Garry: (306) 221-5893.
* Evangelical-Catholic dialogue -"Prayer, Mary and the Saints" public dialogue evening 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct.19 at St. Philip Neri, 1902 Munroe Ave. (at Taylor St), Saskatoon, with speakers Fr Matthew Ramsay and Pastor Harry Strauss. For info contact Nick Jesson (306) 659-5814.
St. Michael’s Church Fall Supper is on Sunday, October 23 at St. Michael’s School (16 – 33rd St. E.) with two sittings: 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $6 for children between 6 and 12, and children 5 and under are free. For tickets call Cheryl at 306-933-4748 or Marg at 306-934-8992.
St. Aloysius Allan Fall Supper is on Sunday Oct 16 at the (wheelchair accessible) Allan and District Communiplex. Continuous seating is from 4 until 6pm, followed by a food auction and prize raffles.
Mark your calendars for October 20-21, 2016 for the 73rd CHAS Conference, held at the Heritage Inn in Moose Jaw. This year’s theme is ‘Hope Floats: Serving in Health Care as People of Faith.' Keynote speakers will be Dr. David Kuhl, PhD, Archbishop Emeritus Sylvain Lavoie and Mark Pickup. Contact (306) 655-5330, cath.health [at] sasktel.net or visit www.chassk.ca for more information.
Reformation – 500th anniversary. Over the next year there will be a series of public events associated with the 500th anniversary of the Reformation on Oct. 31, 2017. Some of these are listed below. There will also be a 5-
- 500 Years of Reformation, week Lenten study, and a public ecumenical service on Oct. 31, 2017. Mark your calendars. For more information contact Nick Jesson (306-659-5814) or Rev Paul Sartison (306-653-2509).Anticipating 2017 - Together. The PCE Fall Conference, October 27-29, 2016 at the Lutheran Theological Seminary, Saskatoon. Plenary speakers are theologian Sr. Donna Geernaert and Rev. Dr. Kayko Driedger Hesslien, a Lutheran pastor and author of Dual Citizenship: Two Natures Christologies and the Jewish Jesus. For more details see the Prairie Centre for Ecumenism website at http://pcecumenism.ca or call 306-653-1633.
- Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, January 22-29, 2017. Theme: "Reconciliation: The Love of Christ Compels Us (2 Cor. 5:14-20)". The resource materials draw n the theme of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, reflecting on the call to Christian reconciliation and unity. Resource materials are available at ecumenism.net/wpcu or weekofprayer.ca.
- Dr Dirk Lange, "Reformation Today: From Conflict to Communion, Together in Hope", the 2017 De Margerie Series on Christian Reconciliation and Unity to be held Thursday, January 26 at 7 p.m. at St Thomas More College. Workshops on Friday and Saturday morning, preaching at Week of Prayer service, Sunday, Jan 29.
The St. Thomas More College Leslie and Irene Dubé Chair for Catholic Studies 2016 -2017 Lecture Series presents: 27th Annual Keenan Memorial Lecture 7:30 p.m. Nov. 24, 2016 at STM College: “The Song of Death, The Lyrics of Euthanasia versus The Song of Life, The Lyrics of Love and Hope,” with Dr. Margaret Somerville speaking to the societal factors that led to changes in euthanasia legislation and the strategies used to implement it, in order to limit, as much as we can, the risks and harms it presents.
The Saskatoon Regional CWL quilters will meet again at Holy Spirit Parish, 114 Kingsmere Place, Saskatoon to quilt for the Clothing Depot from 9 am to 3:30 pm. Please bring a bagged lunch and your sewing tools. Coffee provided. All ladies welcome. Come for the day or drop in for a few hours. The schedule for this fall is: October 17 and 31, November 14 and 28. Also, the quilters are always in need of fabric, so if you are fall cleaning, please keep us in mind. For further information, call Margaret (306) 374-4214
* 40 Hours for Life in Saskatoon is a focused pro-life effort that consists of 40+ hours of prayer and peaceful vigil outside City Hospital (along Queen’s Street) in Saskatoon (one hour per day for 40 consecutive days; also, the possibility of joining in witnessing weekday mornings … for further information regarding morning witnessing, contact Bernadette Mysko at (306) 241-3008, or email: bmysko [at] sasktel.net ). DATES: Wednesday, Sept 28 to Sunday, Nov 6, 2016; TIME: 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm each day; LOCATION: in front of City Hospital along Queen Street. Everyone is invited to join in prayer to end abortion in our city and country. Please consider becoming a prayer volunteer by donating at least 1 hour of prayer during the 40 days. Encourage another pro-lifer to join you! Do you belong to a study group, youth group, lay movement, or ministry? Why not choose a particular day of the week when some of your group will come out to pray … i.e. "adopt a day"? Please let us know of your preference by e-mailing us at campaignlifesk [at] gmail.com
*Sacred Reflections: An evening of prayer for all affected by cancer – patients, caregivers, survivors, friends and family – will be offered by Holy Spirit Parish and McClure United Church Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016 at Holy Spirit Parish, 114 Kingsmere Place, Saskatoon, from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. There will be Taizé prayer/song, scripture readings and reflections, prayer intentions and hospitality. For more information contact Kelly or Charlene at (306) 374-1425.
Lay Formation presents A Gospel Series at Queen’s House Retreat and Renewal Centre, 601 Taylor Street West in Saskatoon from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. continuing on Saturdays, Nov. 5 and Dec. 3. Come as you are and experience the Gospels coming alive in these Lay Formation sessions that include a lecture, journaling and discussion. Bring your Bible. Cost is $40 for the day, with lunch included. Please register with Queen’s House at (306) 242-1916 at least a week before, or pre-pay for all four gospels for only $140. Upcoming sessions include; the Gospel of Luke with Fr. Paul Fachet, OMI, on Nov. 5; and the Gospel of John with Gisele Bauche on Dec. 3. For more information contact Mona Goodman at the Catholic Centre in Saskatoon: layform [at] saskatoonrcdiocese.com or (306) 659-5846.
Arise and Shine - Women’s Journey of Faith fall conference on evening of Friday, Nov. 4 and all day Saturday Nov. 5 at TCU Place in Saskatoon features best-selling author and international speaker Gary Thomas and former model and actress Jennifer O’Neil. Gary Thomas will speak on how to see ourselves through our relationship with God rather than defining ourselves by our marital status or the state of our life. Jennifer O’Neil will share her testimony on how her life was restored by God’s unconditional love and grace. Contact Nancy Smith at 373-4350, visit www.wjof.com or purchase your tickets through the TCU box office.